house lights

drummerrhys

In school I have a 6th form performing arts show coming up, and my somewhat annoying drama teacher wants proper house lights.

Our normal hall lights are orange big square panels which are controlled from one point at the main entrance to the hall with a 'fish' key.

He wants me to be able to control them from the production booth which is up a flight of stairs from the hall. The lights need to be dimmable so I can dim them off at the start then up at the interval etc.

Any ideas how to do this with the existing lights? or should we invest in new ones? if so what? really stuck here guys so anything is helpful

Thanks,

Rhys

Before you examine the 'orange panels' and find that they are non dimmable .. the first more important question is what is the emergency / exit light suitation

They are run on a separate circuit and are above the four doors in the venue, and so are always on

They are run on a separate circuit and are above the four doors in the venue, and so are always on

Great :o

Then the advice given by the last two posters will give you the house light effect you want and will save thousands of £

Alternative (if you want to do this more often) is to buy some of the cheap <£5 500W d0m3st1c halogen floods... and rig them up to hit the ceiling, the light bouncing back should look nice and even and soft..
Except that they are explicitly rated "for outdoor use only". I have had to pick bits of broken lamp out of a carpet that would have landed on an audience an hour later, so a closed face is a must.

I've always used pars - I'm allergic to floodlights.

Depending on the venue, half a dozen focussed appropriately on either the ceiling or walls looks infinitely better than floods. IMHO.

Archived