Dimming UV Flourescent Tubes

peternewman

Hi all,

Was just musing the other day, as I'm partially involved in a show featuring UV; they are having the regular issue of wanting the change for the effect to happen instantly, so I was wondering if there would be anything stopping you from dimming a UV florry using a dimmable ballast so you could make it snap on? In this particular case they are going for cannon's with card/wood flags over them (so I'm not really interested in alternative suggestions, just whether this one would work), but I was just curious really.

It's possibly due to the fact very few people ever want a subtle UV effect that 400W cannons are speced so often. Incidentally I've recently been playing with the idea of preheating 400W lamps with a very low current to provide an instant (ish) on. So far it is actually looking quite promising however I've not done enough experimenting to be able to recommend it as a good idea and obviously I couldn't guarantee it wont kill your lamp life.

Back on topic have you thought about simply using some of those electronic starters that promise instant start? While certainly not what I'd call instant they might be fast enough for what you want.

That again kind of ties in with what I've expected and read before on hear Steve. I'm not sure I've head of fireflies before, are they the small fixtures with a single UV CFL in?

Interesting comments Ike, that was kind of going to be my next question, could similar things be done to the 400W fixtures, and it appears the answer is yes. It really more of a theoretical question, I'm not involved in the design side of things and AFAIK they are going with 400W cannons anyway.

Archived