Low cost pc to DMX unit

egri

I've discoverd this low cost pc to DMX unit for sale.

http://www.milinst.com/gemodules/genmods.htm#DMX

I reckon it would be quite good, even though it only supports 120 channels. You link it to the pc by a serial port. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this particular device, because it occured to me there might be a problem with it. To set a channel at a particular intensity you first send the channel (1 byte), then the intensity (1 byte), however, if the device were to for some reason, miss out a byte, all your intensity values, would be treated as channels, and all your channels would be treated as intensities. This would seriously screw up your show. If you did make some crossfading software, then it would obviously send tens of thousands of updates, so the probability of this occuring by accident is increased. And also if the cable was momentarily disconnected, and reconnected on the wrong beat it would go wrong. Do you reckon this could happen. Has anyone used one of these? I'm sure you are aware the PMX (pulsar multiplex) protocol, (present on clay paky and pulsar fixtures) which uses the serial port, would not suffer from this problem as it uses a protocol where bit 7 indicates if each byte is a channel or intensity - I think.

it doesnt say "DMX standard 3 pin connector", it says "connects to the DMX network" through a "standard 3 pin connector". 3 pin XLRs are pretty standard - in microphones. ;)

I would also be quite interested in any thoughts on this, as I am thinking of getting one as well... maybe the device has an error correction line saying 'if channel > 120 then swap chans/ints' or similar... which would catch it sometimes.

I bought this one from CPC the other week, works quite well, has both a 3 and 5 pin XLR, doesnt have an input/merge :o

about £70 I think for the 120 channel version

comes with the softwear thats qutie good but its not open source ;) :) :huh:

[edit] pm me if you want a copy of the softwear

Archived