Fire Alarm Systems

lxkev

I can understand the need for an alarm to cut PA, having been in a situation where an alarm was set off and could not be heard FOH over the level of the PA.

Another issue is how to give instructions to the public in the event of an evacuation. In my venues (and I believe this is fairly common practice, if not 'the norm'), if the fire alarm is activated, firstly there are no sounders in the auditorium, just flashing beacons. Our policy is actually to allow a performance to carry on while the FOH manager and building caretakers establish whether there is danger in any of the escape routes (ie. if the alarm has been activated by a detector in a fire escape stair-well, we would make sure we directed audience members to evacuate by a different route).

As soon as this has been established, the FOH manager will go on stage and give clear instructions to the audience (using a mic through the PA!) to leave calmly and by particular routes (if necessary) with the assistance of the house stewards. All performers are fully briefed that in this event they should carry on performing as normal until the FOH manager goes on stage, at which point they should immediately give way to him/her.

At no time do we suddenly kill the PA and stage lights - I can think of no better way of causing total hysteria and panic than that. You will have old people having heart attacks, people running into areas where there may be a fire, and no chance of any instructions being heard with no PA over the sound of 1000 punters panicing because there is a wailing siren going on!

We keep a mega-phone in the wings in case of a power cut or other fault cutting the PA, but always use the PA for announcements if we can as this also allows those using the hearing-aid loop to hear instructions.

I'm sure there are formal procedures along these lines adopted as standard by at least most West End theatres (or so I am told).

Ben.

Up untill the new self-certification, the fire authorities (in my own experience) were pretty anti any system that required 'operating'. So using a hand held mic involves somebody taking responsibility to make certain one is always available, always wired in, and somebody on the end to turn it on, and stop any other input source. Megaphones use batteries, that need replacing, and if they rarely get used are pretty certain to be flat!

Our venue had to have a dedicated system with loudspeakers in the public areas that once the time delay hold runs out, or there is a real emergency fire off a pre-recorded "Please leave the ...." message. This system requires our power to be cut. On the few occasions the damn thing has gone off - usually due to drunks smashing break glasses, although pretty nasty audio quality, it's really loud and the message interspersed with a warning whoop - really does scare people into vacating quickly.

I'm not sure that if I was the person signing off self-certification nowadays, I'd feel comfy relying on a manual system that needs people to work it. I know quite a few people who if standing behind the sound desk and seeing a fire would be first out the door before the public - blow hanging about playing with faders!

The situation I was talking about was a large live music event running at around 105dB in a venue lacking entertainment specific fire alarm kit like strobes.

In theatre I'd agree that cutting PA sound would be silly.

10,000 capacity venue, two 600A power outlet boxes, one each side of the stage, and both cut out on the evacuation alarm. Not pretty.

I have had a row of parcans set off a heat detector on a gig I worked, it was ugly, a budget fire alarm solution in a local authourity space, with 6 inches from installed LX bar to heat sensor. Alarm sounded just as the event ended, but it was caused by the lighting heat.

How else, when in a large touring venue, can you enure sound is muted in an evacuation situation, than cutting the power? It isn't feasible to expect every tour to carry a sound cut off controller that can be tied into a venue fire alarm, safely muting the systems is it? Cutting power is brutal, potentially expensive, yet works. We are still working on it....

we had an Ir beam, and smoke detectors in our hall, for all of 8 weeks when it re-opened, the beam is now disabled during shows, and the smoke changed for rise of heat.

they did however install a heat detector that needs removing every evening, about 6 inches from the top of the 2nd followspot, even if its disabled its above the lamp housing, a 2K arc lamp melts the casing!

How else, when in a large touring venue, can you enure sound is muted in an evacuation situation, than cutting the power? It isn't feasible to expect every tour to carry a sound cut off controller that can be tied into a venue fire alarm, safely muting the systems is it? Cutting power is brutal, potentially expensive, yet works. We are still working on it....

How much can you trust the touring crew (I would hope for arena shows that they tend to be in control of themselves)?

I have resolved this with the aid of a red fire alarm strobe on a trailing lead with a 6 pin XLR on the end.

It goes on top of the sound desk and is painfully obvious to the guy doing the mixing, something similar but radio based should be possible for your space? Between this and the working lights being overridden to on by the alarm system when it goes into alarm, then as long as I can rely on the guy at FOH to do the right thing, we don't need to be as brutal as simply pulling all the stage power.

This has the virtue of leaving the PA available to assist with crowd control, after all, how likely are the punters in the pit to hear the emergency evac PA after a few hours at 110+db?

As ever it comes down to the Risk assessment of the venue safety coordinator.

Regards, Dan.

I have started adding 'FOH Wardens' to the Emergency Plans I prepare for large events and concerts.

The job of a FOH Warden is, when notified of an emergency, to:

- Shut down the music (but keep the PA operational)

- Make announcements when requested by the Chief Warden

- Use hardwired comms to notify crew in 'hidden' areas such as dimmers, amps, video which can be often found under the stage

- Wake up crew having a kip in a hammock next to the dimmers, amps, etc <_<

- Notify truss spots to evacuate if necessary

- Direct FOH Spots to provide additional light in an area or highlight exits etc.

- Direct Lighting to provide additional lighting (blinders, house lights etc.) when required.

- Direct Video to display the prepared slides with instructions for the crowd on the screens, this can include evacuation plans etc.

FOH is normally where all controls for an event come together and it would be silly to waste all those resources if they can assist in an emergency.

And never mind how obvious you make a warning light, it can still be ignored......

Archived