M10 bolt

Washer

Trunion arm

Nylon washer

Hook clamp

Washer

Spring washer

Aero (stiff) nut

This way you can do up the nut as tight as you want, and the nylon washer gives you enough slippage to focus the lantern tool free.

If the lanterns are gonna be toured in a meat rack, then Nylocks all the way. I've seen several profiles part company with the hook during the journey as the nut is vibrated of the bolt, ending up in the bottom of the rack.

Just a thought.

Definitely sounds like Whitworth... I know their more English than Metric but Ugh!

I know that metric come in nice easy numbers, but lets not forget the credit due to mr whitworth - if it wasn't for him and his standardisation, we would possibly still be custom-making bolts and screws for every occasion!!!

Definitely sounds like Whitworth... I know their more English than Metric but Ugh!

I know that metric come in nice easy numbers, but lets not forget the credit due to mr whitworth - if it wasn't for him and his standardisation, we would possibly still be custom-making bolts and screws for every occasion!!!

Sir Whitworth, to give him his due.

I tend to prefer:

M10 bolt

Washer

Trunion arm

Nylon washer

Hook clamp

Washer

Spring washer

Aero (stiff) nut

This way you can do up the nut as tight as you want, and the nylon washer gives you enough slippage to focus the lantern tool free.

I am thinking of changing my entire lighting stock to the nylon washer option, is the anyone else who currently uses this system who could either recommend it or say a big fat no to it?

The taking off of hardware to fit lanterns onto boom arms, stands etc is not an issue as we use de-rig arms

We use the nylock option on our 'fixed' stock (the kit we take to all our shows) and it works a treat, make sure you get the tension right, to allow enough for focusing, but not enough for free play, and it's perfect. Wingnuts are still on the kit that only sees the light of day occasionally, as it's easier to store them with hookclamps off.

I am thinking of changing my entire lighting stock to the nylon washer option, is the anyone else who currently uses this system who could either recommend it or say a big fat no to it?

The taking off of hardware to fit lanterns onto boom arms, stands etc is not an issue as we use de-rig arms

If you use de-rig arms, then I guess the only time you'll need to take hook clamps off is if you need to fit a spigot to put the lantern onto a floor stand or a turtle base. So as long as your clamps are going to live on the lanterns pretty much permanently, with only an occasional need for removal in order to fit a spigot, I can't see any real disadvantage to using Nylocks.

Let us know what you finally decide, and (over time) whether you think it was the right decision to make! :** laughs out loud **:

After having tried the nylon washer & aero nut option on our 2k's, floods and FOH rig for the last 6 months, I am sold on the idea. Sparks hire, send out all their lanterns with this option (where I stole the idea :** laughs out loud **: ). Having recently bought some d-rig arms, I am now going to convert the remaining of our lanterns. Of course the downside to using d-rig arms is that you can't get the lantens as close together than you can with a standard boom arm. But you can usualy get away with staggering them. Just depends how picky the LD is :** laughs out loud **:

Of course the downside to using d-rig arms is that you can't get the lantens as close together than you can with a standard boom arm.

And they're expensive, and when someone does them up too tight the threads strip and you have to angle-grind them off...

Archived