CDM Lamp Interchangeability

KevinE

Martin Professional state in the owners manual that their MX4 moving mirror (disco product), which ships with the Philips Broadway CDM S/A-T150 lamp, can be fitted with the substantially cheaper GE Arcstream MBI-T150 as a direct replacement.

Has anybody tried this substitution, either in Martin or other products, and if so, is there any marked difference? I know the colour temps are different but this isn't a problem in our application. My main worry is arc length and its effect in different types of fixture. We're using various moving head profile spots.

Haven't got the specs for the two lamps in front of me but I'd hazard a guess the the difference lies in the lamp life between the two, colour temp (which you said doesn't matter so that's a moot point) and quality of the light produced even at the tail end of the lamp life.

From what I've seen PB lamps are quickly becoming the preferred brand by rental houses.. for all types of this lamp, mainly for the last reason I stated. Though generally they seem to out perform comparative lamps in all ways. Probably why Martin spec' them..

So its seems to be just another case of you pay what you get for. Not slagging off the GE lamps in any way whatsoever, they make perfectly good lamps, just not as good as PB..

My view on the subject anyway <_<

Archived