Trying To Make My Own MP3s

Billy Rigby

Increasingly, in looking for gigs, I'm finding the same question being asked: do you have any MP3s of your stuff? So, I've bowed to the inevitable and am now trying to make some MP3s.

It's not going so well, though. Following some advice, I'm linking my PC to my mixer amp through a RCA-to-mini-jack lead, connecting the jack to my line-in on the PC and the RCA to the REC OUT on the front of the mixer. Using AVS4U to record, I press record on the PC and start my tune but nothing is registering on the waveform and when I play it back it's completely silent.

Nothing is muted on my volume control so does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

To be honest, if you're a singer, then I'd produce a proper CD under studio conditions. Even if you do get the computer side of it sorted, the audio quality of he average computer audio in isn't the best.

I don't know the recordig software you mention - but most issues like this are simply down to making sure the recording software knows which input source you're using, and that any software mixer you use on the PC actually has the input turned on. Probably all things you've tried, but you didn't give us much to go on.

What else do you need to go on? There really is no more to it I'm afraid.

While studio mixes may well sound better, that's not what I'm being asked for. Check out any number of sites where swing singers are touting their trade; you'll find they all get by with using MP3 samples on their sites. I'm not looking to make an album , just to show agents and prospective punters what I sound like. Making my own MP3s is an inexpensive way of getting more work.

Paul, remind me again, was it you who told me I wouldn't get far if I expected to make big bucks from singing? I think you were at least involved in the duscussion, any road. Currently getting £150 - £200 up front per gig. Just goes to show you, eh?

pmfji.

I don't think Paul is implying that MP3 isn't a good enough format for 'touting' around as a demo. I think he is referring to the quality you can expect from feeding directly into a PC' line input.

Anyway as Paul mentions, if you are not seeing any input coming into your PC's recording software, check that you have selected 'line-in' as the source from within you software. I'm not familiar with the software your using either, but in an application such as Audacity (freeware), the source selection is obvious with a drop down box.

You could also check to see if plain old Windows Sound Recorder will record from your line-in source, this will be in 'wav' format which many applications can import and then convert to MP3.

J

It surprised me how easy it was to get the gigs, to be honest. At the time we last spoke, I think I'd done two gigs, one was a garden party and one was a do at work, both were unpaid. After that, I've done some local pubs, a couple of British Legions and a Burn's Supper for a local Masonic Lodge. After discussing it here, I decided to be upfront about how much I charge and so far no-one's knocked me back.

Unfortunately, my mum passed away during all this and I've found that I just don't seem to have the confidence to get on the phone at the moment and assert myself. I might have to go with an agent, hence the need for MP3s.

Now, the programme I'm using is a freebie called AVS4U. I'd been recommended Audacity or Goldwave but I had problems downloading Audacity and, on the Goldwave site, there was a link to this AVS4U Sound Editor. I tried it out last night, got everything set up in the PC room, but, as I say, no dice. As there's not much to the operation, there's not much I can tell you. I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to PCs so I have every belief there's something really obvious that I'm overlooking but I'll be darned if I can work out what it might be.

I'm another one who has to say I've never even heard of AVS4U (and might suggest you perservere to get Audacity installed as, amongst audio freeware, it's pretty much the standard with a huge user base).

However, I can tell you from the time I spend on Adobe Audition forums, 99% of the time the solution to questions like yours is to go to the on-board PC mixer (either the "Windows Mixer" or a software mixer that came with your sound card) and select the "Line In" socket for your recording. Most computers default to Mic In because the majority of users just want to web chat.

Getting to the software mixer is usually achieved by double clicking on a little loudspeaker icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. Once you're there, you will probably find yourself in the half of the mixer that controls playback, and you'll have to mess around with menus to find the record mixer. Sorry to be so vague but we don't have details of your system.

Now, a bit of "downer". If you get in any way serious about recording, you'll probably want to upgrade the sound card you're using. Built in ones tend to have a high level of background noise and various other problems for any serious work....as I say, they're designed mainly for playback and simple online chat duties, not for music. Also, if you're trying to record your normal stage mix, you'll probably be appalled how this sounds when recorded. This isn't a criticism of how your mix sounds live; it's just that what the audience hears is a mix of "direct" and "through the mixer sound" so what you record won't be a reflection of what the audience hears. If the bug bites in a big way, you'll probably end up using a multitrack facility (at home or professionally) to do a better job.

Bob

Just one other thing worth bearing in mind, if you plan on making a demo which you are going to take around prospective venues, not every CD player will play MP3 format, so you might get nothing from putting your CD in the venue player. You might be safer converting your final output to CDA format.

J

I was planning on converting the sound. Firstly, though, I just want to be able to record something!

I'll try again with Audacity. I have no objections to upgrading the soundcard but clearly at the moment that won't make a difference; for some reason the line-in is not picking up on what I'm doing so I'll get into the menu screen to see what needs to be fixed.

Cheers, all.

I was planning on converting the sound. Firstly, though, I just want to be able to record something!

Then in all honesty MP3 doesn't need to come into the topic. Record and mix in 'wav' format (Audacity will do that) and output to CDA with something like 'Nero'.

Audacity requires additional plug-in (not difficult) to output to MP3, but if your not intending to output to MP3 then... why?

I feel sure it's your source/line-in settings, but just wondered... are you happy you have a suitable output from your mixer/desk (stating the obvious!)?

J

[E]sp[/E]

I'd agree with those who suggest persevering with Audacity - it's the dog's danglies. Get hold of the LAME MP3 encoder as well, and you'll be on the right road. As regards the line-in not doing its thing - have you checked the "Windows Mixer" to make sure nothing's muted that shouldn't be?

Just to try to elaborate a little...

Assuming a Windows machine… click start->control panel->sound & audio, then under the 'audio' tab (sound recording section) click 'volume' and make sure 'line-in is available and selected with volume 2/3rds up. Then do as Bobbsy has said and double click on your taskbar speaker icon and make sure that the line-in (you may need to click 'Options' – 'Advanced' to show all devices (machine dependant)) is not muted and the volume levels are set (you might want to mute the mic input). Finally start whatever software application you are using and from it's settings make sure 'line-in' is the source and also that the application has not turned the recording level down.

I think that is somewhere close!

HTH and good luck.

J

I'm guessing the OP requires MP3 for its small format for a website for music samples for clients / agents / whoever else.

Yes Rob, but I was a little confused when the OP originally said MP3 and latter said was to convert to CDA (or another format)... seems a wasted/illogical step!

J

If you get Audacity up & running, you can right click on the input meter and select "monitor input". The meter will then respond to any signal coming in to the software. If you do this before messing around with the volume controls, you'll get instant visual feedback on whether the changes you're making are successful or not.

Nothing is muted on my volume control so does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

This may be just a language issue Bill, or it might be the answer - the 'volume control' controls what comes OUT of the PC and you are having problems with what is going IN (or what is not gong in). You don't mention if you are using the Windows Mixer controls or if your software has it's own controls for this function, but certainly if you are using Windows Mixer and looking at the volume controls, you're adjusting the wrong thing.

I also can't find any sensible references to AVS4U (Google is not being my friend on this one) - do you have a link? It might give us some more clues.

I think the MP3 thing is a bit of a red herring, as you say, the most important thing initially is just to record anything at all!

Archived