Mac 700 Profile prism beam size

Paul_R

Help !!!!

Does anyone have access to a Mac 700 Profile in a rig at the moment, than can answer a question for me for real, and not a theory??

Does prism affect beam size?

Its something I have never really paid attention to, but using these fixtures on hire next week and have been asked the question....

Assuming you have maximum beam size (indicated by solid line circle), if you then prism it, does the prism 'image' (indicated by dashed line circles) fit inside the orignal beam size [As per Prism 1], or actually become bigger [As per Prism 2] ???

[Prism 1]

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/preeves_album/BR/th_Prism1.jpg

[Prism 2]

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/preeves_album/BR/th_Prism2.jpg

Many Thanks,

Paul

I've used Martin ShowDesigner and Maxxyz PC (and the Visulizer) with MAC 500s and it seems that on the 500s that the prism goes as big or small as you like depending on the zoom used. I presume that similar physics would be applied to the MAC 700 though, as I have only used these fixtures virtually, I don't know how true this is as I don't know how accurate the visulizations are.

I've used Martin ShowDesigner and Maxxyz PC (and the Visulizer) with MAC 500s and it seems that on the 500s that the prism goes as big or small as you like depending on the zoom used. I presume that similar physics would be applied to the MAC 700 though, as I have only used these fixtures virtually, I don't know how true this is as I don't know how accurate the visulizations are.

Caution! "Talking B0ll0cks" alert! Firstly, the OP specifically asked for advice from people who've used the fixtures for real, and not just read the specs or fiddled with a demo copy of a visualiser. Secondly, the Mac500 doesn't have a zoom, so what you've posted above is rubbish.

Paul, the answer to your question is "option 2" - the prism takes whatever beam you've got your unit outputting at the time, and 'multiplies' it three times as per your second picture. That's why it's a very useful way to get greater coverage (at the expense of intensity) for doing, say, a gobo wash with a smallish quantity of Macs.

Edit to correct dreadful spelling!

Thanks Gareth.

'Multiplies' is a good word that I did not manage to get into my description!

I have used the prisim function before, but its one of the those things that beyond it multiplying the image (depending on the number of prism facets) I could not tell you if it did make the overall coverage truly bigger by 3 in this case, or there was some sort of optical limit, that although there would be 3 images, they would be smaller to fit into the 'maximum' output size.

Archived