Maglites

DMX Will

Does anyone have problems with their Maglites eating batteries as they get older?

I've had one before that did it, and thought nothing of it, but now my new one has started "eating batteries" and running through them very quickly. I don't overly use it, and it's only 2 years old.

Is this just how it is? or am I just unlucky?!

I have noticed that some maglights seem to turn themselves on easily, I don't know if it's age related. I've seen them come on as a result of brushing against the arm of a chair as their owner sat down. That would certainly reduce battery life.

Of course, it depends on the batteries, maybe if, like me you use batteries that have done a couple of shows in a radio mic then this will make a difference. If all of a sudden you've started doing longer shows with them or 2 shows, there wont be as much left in them. If on the other hand you're using new and good quality batteries all the time. Firstly I'd suggest using ones out of your radio mics (if you have any) and secondly check that its not switching on and off in your pocket as Karl says. My maglite, WHICH WAS PURCHASED FROM THE BLUE ROOM AND ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE WITH THE BLUE ROOM LOGO ETC ON FOR A VERY REASONABLE PRICE, SEE THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Has the LED addon, WHICH ARE ALSO AVAILABLE. So batteries last longer anyway.

Did anyone spot a bit of advertising anywhere, I think I managed to hide it quite well.

Also never use rechargeable batteries.

They never are the required voltage.

for example AA Alkaline Batteries have a Voltage of around 1.5V when new.

Rechargeables have around 1.2V, Brightness of maglites is definitely compromised

HTH

James

PS I do like the merchandise, very interested

I highly recommend getting some sort of LED upgrade. I cant remember the brand of mine, but it greatly increased the output and uses far less batteries.

Also, +1 to the used radio mic batteries - scored hundreds of these after the last show I did. that'll keep me going for a while!

If the maglight has ever got wet internaly, it is possible that a very slightly conducting film has formed between the switch contacts, this would lead to gradual running down of the battery without using the light.

To test for this, turn the light off and remove the tailcap, leaving the batteries in place. Useing a multi-meter with a low current range check for any current between the negative end of the batteries and the screw thread of the light. Remember that leakage of only 1 milliamp will complety discharge a pair of AA cells in about 2,500 hours, or about 100 days. Partial discharge, sufficient to reduce the run time would take only a few weeks.

If leakage is detected, it may be possible to clean the switch, though a new maglite is not expensive (keep the old one as a spare, just remember not to leave batteries in it)

I imported one of these from US eBay just after Christmas:

http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/gerber_tritac...ical_torch.html

Which worked out at just under £17 including postage.

It's been great so far although doesn't have the "candle mode" of traditional maglites which may be a problem for some although to make up for that all of the components are held in place with resin so it's very solid and it came with a pouch. :o

Guest lightnix
Does anyone have problems with their Maglites eating batteries...?

Is this just how it is? or am I just unlucky?!

I have noticed that some maglights seem to turn themselves on easily, I don't know if it's age related...
This can happen, as things loosen up with time and use. One way around it is to buy a "tactical" style tailcap switch, such as the ones made by Nite-Ize or TerraLUX.

I have noticed that some maglights seem to turn themselves on easily, I don't know if it's age related...
This can happen, as things loosen up with time and use. One way around it is to buy a "tactical" style tailcap switch, such as the ones made by Nite-Ize or TerraLUX.

If the head of the light is loose then a cheap fix is to wrap some PTFE tape around the threads. There used to be problems with loose heads on AAA Maglites - even when brand new - and the PTFE trick worked a treat.

David

Archived