DMX Controller Advice Needed

Duckfather

I've even managed to find some online tutorials for it :)

Pulsar used to do one day training courses for these desks at an absolute bargain price - I can't find them on their website at the moment but it would certainly be worth an email if you end up buying one.

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but I'll post the link anyway just in case ....

http://s100707185.websitehome.co.uk/ryger....ht_usb-DMX.html

That's quiet impressive! If I'd seen that before building the current system I have / am building, then I'd probably have gone with that.

However, the FCB1010 / desk combo allows me to run the entire show using the system (as the USB DMX Footswitch does), or to let the sound to light generators run most of it while I take manual control of up to two channels, or certain sections speed / brightness etc with the expression peddles. I can even set the system to step through chases, but control the step speed using the expression peddles.

This pedal also gives me the option to MIDI control other devices, such as keyboards / samples etc using the same peddle should I decide to add to our performance at a later date.

If I can get hold of a cheap Pulsar, then I'll definately drop them a line to see if they still do the courses. Thanks for the tip :)

Andy

Hi,

Just a suggestion but might not be what you are looking for. I just bought lightfactory software that now runs off a desktop in my control room. 1024 channels for approx £340 pounds. You can install on a laptop which you can tour with.

does Follow, MIDI, Audio and timecode triggers.

Check it out on www.lifact.com They do a free download of the software for you to play around with. try the free download and see what its like. I'm very happy with mine.

What you get when purchase is the "black box" which connects to your pc via USB. This allows the software to talk to the dimmers and a licence.

Rishard

Hmm, I've been looking at the USB convertors and software etc, but don't really want to carry a laptop around to run things (they're much more nickable than a desk because of obvious reasons, and I have to leave kit overnight at a few venues).

However, I'm not ruling that out. How could you MIDI control that? (basically, MIDI control is the core of what I need after the capabilties of the desk / software etc). You can obviously do much more with a software based system. Including stage design etc.

I'll download the demo and have a play :)

Thanks for the help <_<

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am another LightFactory user, admittedly not with MIDI however.

If you need any help with this, can I suggest poping over to :-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lightfactory_software/

As there are a few MIDI users, and I am sure somebody will be able to help answer any questions!

Regarding laptops and security, you could get a kensington lock which all laptops should accomodate, which although not great, are better than nothing and would prevent a 'walk up and off' theft.

Ultimately though I would take it with me, rather than leaving it over night!

Assuming you might already have some equipment in a 19" rack, you could also have the option of a small rack mount PC, which again several of us do.

Although deviating from MIDI control you desire, you could use a small 10" Touch Screen LCD's to control the shortcuts, effects runners or show runners mounted somewhere accessible!

Drop me a PM if you like...

Regards,

Paul

So, I've got myself a Pulsar Masterpiece 108 for the princely sum of £181 off of eBay B-) . It's had a bit of use, but I'm happy with it.

I've had to use the SUAL code to unlock most of the functions (eventually), but my programming learning curve is being greatly hampered by existing scenes / chases / environments etc. While I've managed to delete the existing scenes and chases (I think!) and will be looking at the environments next, is there any way to set the Materpiece back to factory defaults (ie completely blank setup) without having to manualy remove each scene, chase and environment? I can't find anything in the manual from the Pulsar site.

Incidentally, with the limited hour or so I've had with it so far, I can instantly see the potential power of this desk and am wondering why I stuck with the LC2412 :o

Andy

I thought as much. Thanks for the help :rolleyes:

Oh, and if anyone reading this has any doubts or questions about a comparison between an LC2412 and a Masterpiece 108, don't waste your money on the LC2412! The Masterpiece is much more powerfull, much easier to learn (when you get your head around the basics) and far easier to control through the interface ;)

Archived