How do you indicate that something is broken?

Bobbsy

Cables - Stupid amounts of white tape (we only really use black & white). This ensures that even if the cable isn't damaged, it will be by the time it gets back. *

Kit - Stupid amounts of white tape. Brief description if not obvious.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tape over the connectors, generally. With dangerous, i.e. mains stuff, I tend to remove the male end at least, if not both ends. Usually do it with a screwdriver too, so you don't have a plug with a small trailing lead - you'd have to be incredibly stupid to plug something like that in, but I'm a cynical sod.

Guest joewhite903
I Tend to have my empty backpack with me at gigs, So that any cables that have a fault are put away for me ready to take home and repair. For when im bored or cant sleep, also a great excuse for not doing the housework "sorry got to repair cables" my parents hate that. also my bedroom is very organised so sometimes I chop an end of remove any fuses and but them in the missing ends drawer or the cable in Spare wire box "seems to have turned into a very big and full box" joe

• 1 year later...
I once worked with a crew (from a company that shall remain nameless) that complained during the entire get in about all the crappy broken equipment that turned up. I asked about the shop checking the gear, but since it was all wet hire, apparently they don't really do that. Then during the strike they threw the damaged cables (some got caught under a platform leg and torn up... signal not mains don't worry) in the same box with the good ones... no marking or anything. Uh, I wonder why they keep having broken kit on their shows. :( ;) :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **: (yeah that needs 4)

I've never seen anyone put a knot in a cable if its broken, although I could just be blind and have never of noticed it :-P . Most of the time I tend to just LX tape the cable at each end, or if its 15/13amp cable just chop the end off it.

**CPC hat off for a moment...**

Our kit usually gets coiled in the normal way then LX tape the connectors together - ideally with fault description with sharpie (if too hand). Knots are common on gear thats been out on hire... not as a way of showing faults just general lack of ability to take care of cables :)

Archived