Pixelline 1044 Warning

Nick512

Just warning anyone about to buy new Thomas Pixelline 1044's.. ive just had a batch that I have had to send back as Thomas have changed the red LED that they are using. It is about 3mm longer than the blue and green LEDS so when you are trying to uplight a drape for example you will get a couple of feet of inconsistent color. I found it impossible to mix a white as you get a band of Pink due to the different focal lengths of the LEDs. Again mixing amber gives you a band of green which in my opinion was not acceptable.

If your thinking of using them for any close lighting applications then I would advise you to try them before you spec them.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2002 when the pixelline was introduced, there has always been a pink fringing effect when washing a set. This is also easily seen when viewed directly and slightly off axis in direct view mode.

This is because the blue and green leds share the same optical characteristics within the led. The red led is slightly different in optical performance, I think off memory around 1- 2 degrees wider. Every manufacturer has this problem when using 5 mm through hole leds, because you cannot generally buy high power through hole leds of all three colours from the same manufacturer.

Agilent (HP) produce the best high output red. Nichia the blue and green.

Its just one of those things in lighting you have to live with im afraid.

You can of course correct this issue with filters or holographic film, the latter being more expensive.

That would get you round the problem.

I hope this information helps.

Chris

Archived