minimacs or "pilot 150's"

minimac

I have been offered some pearl river pilot 150's for £500 each. I have been told that they are brighter than minimacs and are faster. is this so and what other, if any advantages does it have.

Minimacs are priced at £995.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of difference between them.

The Pilot 150 has a 'whole' yoke (i.e. 2 arms) so it might be quicker because of this (weight spread evenly for instance).

They both use HTI150 lamps so it's probably not going to be that big a difference in brightness, just really one will edge the other edge if it's got the better optics.

Give both the manuals a good read and see if this helps you at all - and also see if you can play with the fixtures before purchase, might help you decide.

HTH

Stu

I dont like either of the units, and im sure they are both the same brightness.

I prefer the ROBEXT160 it out performs both of the ones you mention in every aspect

Robe

they have recently done practicall tests on all the heads within this cat.

pearl river pilot 150

ROBE XT160

ACME spot queen

EVL mini spot 150r

Chauvet Legend 150r

and ROBE has come out on top again.

the price for the ROBE heads sits inbetween those you have been quoted, you can get the head for about £650 if ya shop around

vince

pearl river pilot 150

ROBE XT160

ACME spot queen

EVL mini spot 150r

Chauvet Legend 150r

And the reason they didn't test the MiniMac was... er...?

Edit: Although the MiniMacs list at £995, I imagine you could find a fair bit knocked off if you shop around...

I dont like either of the units, and im sure they are both the same brightness.

I prefer the ROBEXT160 it out performs both of the ones you mention in every aspect

Robe

they have recently done practicall tests on all the heads within this cat.

pearl river pilot 150

ROBE XT160

ACME spot queen

EVL mini spot 150r

Chauvet Legend 150r

the price for the ROBE heads sits inbetween those you have been quoted, you can get the head for about £650 if ya shop around

vince

While I don't doubt that Vince's opinions on the Robe heads are perfectly valid (indeed, from what I've seen of them I'm mighty impressed myself), it should perhaps be pointed out that, as Vince has mentioned on this forum previously, the company that he works for have some sort of sponsorship/endorsement deal with Robe - so his opinions are probably not quite as objective as they might be!

(No offence intended, Vince, I don't doubt for one moment that you know what you're talking about when it comes to Robe moving heads - but I thought I should point this out so that everyone's aware of the fact that you have more than one reason for telling everyone how good Robe are ... :angry: )

Robe they have recently done practicall tests on all the heads within this cat.

pearl river pilot 150

ROBE XT160

ACME spot queen

EVL mini spot 150r

Chauvet Legend 150r

So are you saying that Robe tested all the units or that you did. If Robe tested them then they are hardly an objective source for information about there own products. I am not suggesting that they lied about the results, however it would be realitivly easy to gear the questions so that your product came out on top consistently.

So are you saying that Robe tested all the units or that you did. If Robe tested them then they are hardly an objective source for information about there own products. I am not suggesting that they lied about the results, however it would be realitivly easy to gear the questions so that your product came out on top consistently.

the test was carried out by an un-partial group of LX techs.

and it was featurered in a magazine a few weeks ago.

I'm currently using 2* Spot 160XT's

2* Spot 150XT's (no gobo rotation)

4* DJScan 250's

And will happilly say that they are some of the best (small!) moving luminaires I've used, as yet I haven't had a single problem, and they are ideal for small to medium shows, and I'm sure you could find uses in larger shows, but they don't cut it with 575w and 1200w luminaires!

They knock 7 bells out of minimacs, and we got them considerably cheaper too!

I used the pilot 150's and pilot 300 's together at an event and found the 150's to be not that far behind. I couldnt really noticeably tell the difference in light output between the two (Focus and Prism function on the Pilot 300's not on the Pilot 150) I found the 150's quite quick, fast and responsive. Although it has to be said, Vinny has a point, the Robe units are also quite good! I seem to remeber changing the gobo's in the 150's to be quick tricky. If you would like a demonstration perhaps youd like to get in touch.

Richard Rayner

Archived