lexicon built in fx

Steve1812

Hi,

School owns a Soundcraft Spirit 600 with the built in lexicon effects - now about 6 years old.

Out of nowhere - nothings been moved - when I select an effect and raise the blue master slider for the unit, there is a noise as in unwanted, beyond the effect which is usually a little reverb for vocals.

I am asuming its electronic rather than mechanical and I am looking for suggestions what to investigate.

Appreciate this is tricky but I am looking for a starting point.

Thank you,

Steve

When you say "noise" is is some kind of hum or hiss? If so, it's a reasonable chance that the power supply is beginning to fail and one or more rails (in particular the one the feeds the effects unit) is slipping out of regulation. Unwanted noise is often a first sympton. Six years is not an unreasonable age for this sort of problem to start.

If that's the case, it's "new power supply" or "ship to Soundcraft" time.

Bob

I have had this in a couple of mixers where the effects section packs up all together. I get the feeling this is the early warning that it might fail on you. Seem to remember that it did indeed have something to do with the power supply, as Bobbsy says, but I can't now recall what it was.

Edit - major lack of useful words in last sentence!

Recently plugged in an LXP-1on a gig for a bit of special snare widening/FX. 

I had not used for some time - about 2 years (!)

Set levels and pushed up FX to mix the return in: the Pink noise was so prominent I had to gate it!

Anybody know where else (apart from power rails) the noise could come from (ADC-DAC ?) or were they noisy and I have a fading memory plus we are being spoilt with quieter units nowadays? 

It still works and has some nice touches for film/new age stuff.

I did have one weird case of PA system noise which was ultimately traced back to the INPUT of the LXP! ! ! A choke cut the crap out cleanly but it was a wind up - nowadays most ins and outs on digital stuff have chokes as standard.

Hi,

Steve1812 here - bugger - Ive run the fx for the last couple of days and the things performing as it should!

Its the old .... "honest Mr " thisll cost you" Garage Mechanic, it was making a noise all last week".

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Archived