Trilite Clamps

nick_field

For an upcoming gig we need to fly some gear that's never been flown before. I'm fully aware of the HSE implications of this, and we've got them covered. As we can only drill the holes and fit the clamps once what standard would you suggest they should be positioned to fit? Trilite 100 or 200? 12,18 or 24 inch? We want to make this setup as re-usable as possible, and therefore choose the commonest trussing standard.

Thanks All, Nick

For an upcoming gig we need to fly some gear that's never been flown before.  I'm fully aware of the HSE implications of this, and we've got them covered.  As we can only drill the holes and fit the clamps once what standard would you suggest they should be positioned to fit?  Trilite 100 or 200?  12,18 or 24 inch?  We want to make this setup as re-usable as possible, and therefore choose the commonest trussing standard.

Thanks All, Nick

I /think/ I understand what you're getting at, Nick, but I'm not 100% sure. Can you explain a bit more about how you want to hang the kit?

If you're asking what I think you're asking, maybe a good bet, if you can afford it, might be to have some sort of hanging frame made up for the kit you're trying to fly, built into which can be a multitude of attachment points for various gauges of truss.

A bit more infoi would help, though - or even a digital photo??

This is a piece of effects equipment housed in a large very heavily built flightcase. To fly it our plan is simply to bolt 4 panel clamps onto the side of the case, which then fit directly onto a piece of truss. To make the thing stable inverted we would have to have at least 3, probably 4, hanging points, unforetunately this means that they can only be positioned to fit one size of truss.

My question was really - What do you think is the most common size of trilite?

I suppose we could make up some kind of subframe, but it seems a bit unnecessary, are we likely to have problems if we only build it to fit one size?

Thanks, Nick

For an upcoming gig we need to fly some gear that's never been flown before.  I'm fully aware of the HSE implications of this, and we've got them covered.  As we can only drill the holes and fit the clamps once what standard would you suggest they should be positioned to fit?  Trilite 100 or 200?  12,18 or 24 inch?  We want to make this setup as re-usable as possible, and therefore choose the commonest trussing standard.

Thanks All, Nick

How heavy is "heavy"... do you want to go down the route of triangle truss.... or would square truss be more suitable.... just thinking about spot weight loads

Cheers

Paul

The unit weighs about 110kg all up. That'll be hanging on 3 half clamps, each attached with a high tensile steel bolt, swl of ~ 200kg. As well as that we'll be fitting ringbolts to allow for some heavy chain as secondary suspension.

The OPTI catalogue I have shows the mounting centres for triangle truss as being the same as for box truss, so I guess we'll just choose the specific truss to suit the application. At the moment I'm inclined to set the mountings for 18" Trilite 200, 12" is probably a little too small to be stable, 24" seems unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Nick

This is a piece of effects equipment housed in a large very heavily built flightcase.  To fly it our plan is simply to bolt 4 panel clamps onto the side of the case, which then fit directly onto a piece of truss.  To make the thing stable inverted we would have to have at least 3, probably 4, hanging points, unforetunately this means that they can only be positioned to fit one size of truss.

My question was really - What do you think is the most common size of trilite?

I suppose we could make up some kind of subframe, but it seems a bit unnecessary, are we likely to have problems if we only build it to fit one size?

Thanks, Nick

Hmm. Well, the most common size of Trilite triangular truss has its chords on 200mm centres. However, can you be sure that you'll really only ever need to hang this on one type of truss? Can you be sure that the next job won't involve hanging it on ladde beam or 20" box truss? And are you 100% sure whether the Trilite will be hanging apex-up or apex-down? Allow for as many evetualities as possible ...

I think the 200mm stuff is Trilite 100, which is probably a bit small for this load. Do you reckon 12" would be a better bet than 18"? At the end of the day we can ask for whatever size of trilite we need, but I'd rather be asking for one that is likely to already be on site or at least easy for the customer to hire a length of.

Cheers, Nick

I think the 200mm stuff is Trilite 100, which is probably a bit small for this load.  Do you reckon 12" would be a better bet than 18"?  At the end of the day we can ask for whatever size of trilite we need, but I'd rather be asking for one that is likely to already be on site or at least easy for the customer to hire a length of.

Cheers, Nick

To be honest, Nick, I think we're getting into the kind of territory here where you should be consulting a qualified rigger. Perhaps you should give someone like Unusual Rigging a call?

The unit weighs about 110kg all up.  That'll be hanging on 3 half clamps, each attached with a high tensile steel bolt, swl of ~ 200kg.  As well as that we'll be fitting ringbolts to allow for some heavy chain as secondary suspension.

The OPTI catalogue I have shows the mounting centres for triangle truss as being the same as for box truss, so I guess we'll just choose the specific truss to suit the application.  At the moment I'm inclined to set the mountings for 18" Trilite 200, 12" is probably a little too small to be stable, 24" seems unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Athough the 200 series has a very high spot weight load potential 405kg Spot load or 1100kg for distributed weight load, this for a 2 metre length.

Suppose my next question is what shape is the unit you are flying?

Archived