Sorry to be a pain

cluttercrutch

Hi folks,

Firstly thanks again for all the expert advice after my other posts.

I am more or less sorted and have spent the last couple of days listening to several different speakers.

Now I am more confused than ever!

I heard the db 405´s, Mackie srm 450´s, jbl eons, and alot of other cheaper active stuff.

At the time I could tell difference in tone, volume and the differences in response etc, as for things like dispersion and such like I am afraid I did not have the expert ear ability to judge. The guy demonstrating was being a pain by constantly saying Mackie, Mackie, Mackie! (because they did actually sound better or were slightly more expensive!)

Now I find myself confused as hell! I decided on a pair of these active tops (still don´t know wether 12´s or 15´s would be better for backing tracks and vocals) and an active subwoofer (in a venue holding 200ish, normally seated punters.

So, if all you experts had the choice, which would you buy?

I promise I will go out and by something after this post and let you guys use your expertise and experience for more deserving causes!

Thanks fellas

For the size of

It's easy to spend other people's money, but...

Generally you'll find that vocals sound a bit "better" (as in a bit clearer and more defined) on 12" speakers than on the 15" version. Based solely on sound, my choice with be 12" tops with a separate sub.

HOWEVER...I'm not the guy who has to carry the extra box or find the extra cash for a sub and crossover. Only your ears and bank account can tell you whether the difference is worth it.

As for dispersion, frankly no speaker in this price range is going to be particularly tightly controlled. I'd honestly say that, among your shortlist, this shouldn't be a major issue.

It would be unfair of me to voice a preference for one of the three speakers you auditioned because I've not yet had a chance to have a play with the db kit...would love to hear it sometime because I've heard good things about it. Between the Eons and the Mackie SRM450, my personal preference is the Mackie...I find the sound easier on the ears over a long evening.

Bob

The mackie's have proven themselves in this industry, and in the UK they've done very well for a lot of churches, smaller venues and small sound providers. While it is not ideal that the guy running the demo said that, they do stand proud of all the other boxes mentioned in quality vs price. The only other options that I might look at would be RCF arts or EV Sx 300As. And they're quite a bit more pricey.

Matt

Hi

In my opinion the SRM450s are plenty good enough for most people singing to track.

If you do go for the 450s I would recommend that you do not buy a sub. Try them out, on a job by themselves.

It is amazing what they will do, we had just Mackies (450, 1521 and 1801) until a couple of years ago, now we have a pile of Turbo speakers but still would only use these 450 Mackies on smaller jobs like you describe.

It is worth noting that the 1521 etc, whilst there is a slightly more extended bottom end are much more difficult to lift, carry and put on stands. We did not appreciate the difference between them and the 450s once the additional cost, size and weight are taken into account. Also there are bags available for the 450s which keep them in new condition and make carrying even easier!

I have no experience of the other boxes mentioned, but that's my tuppence, for what it's worth!

Andy

Thanks alot fellas, money spent!

Went for the mackies in the end. Going to try them out next week in a venue and take the advice regarding the sub.

I must say, all this has certainly got me thinking. I remember. only 15 - 20 years ago, where I could still walk into some venues, be handed a mike then walk on the stage, look at the MD, tell him what song I was going to sing and point three fingers downwards (signifying the key of Eb!) then off we went. Sound was looked after by people with experience and expertise.

Nowadays, everyman and his dog has an opinion on sound and audio equipment performance and I really feel they do not have sufficient training to give anything else but a personal opinion (with all due respect to dj´s budding entertainer forums)

Obviously alot of opinion in this field is subjective but a certain amount of training and experience is needed in my opinion.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I'm a bit late coming in to this one (as you've bought the kit).

I have 1521's and they sound really nice for band/large playback. However, I would opt for a 12" cabinet if doing mainly vocal work.

Anyone got an opinion on the offerings from LEM? Not heard much in the press or sales literature about them, but I've worked with a pair on several occasions (300w, 12" plastic cabinets) and they sounded very sweet. Noticeably better than the mackie offerings. The newer ones also have an element of DSP - selector switch on the back to select the use the speaker is getting - I'm guessing it's an EQ feature.

Enjoy your mackies, my foldbacks are SRM350's and they sound very nice, just watch for overheating if you use them as wedges and I can highly reccomend the bags.

As somebody above mentioned it, flightcase warehouse do make flight cases for 1521's.

Mackie cabs are an ar** to repair 2 mins before curtain up. we currently have dodgy spikes in our power at work for some reason, and this has taken out 1 450, 1 x12 looking mackie, and one of their big subs, the fuseholders just powdered. the subs boards are easy to get to, the x12 style ones and 450s are less so

Yes I'll agree with you on that DJ Dunc, one of my 350's had a dodgy gain pot. Gain would just drop off and then come back again. Don't even attempt to open one up! Best I could do was flood it with switch lubricant and hope for the best. It's still iffy occasionally, more so if it's cold.

To take out 3 amps is one heck of a mains problem! Did they all happen at once or on different occasions?

Since we're now into the realm of servicing the Mackies. You need a long 1' long(!) Pozi#2 to gain access to the drivers. We broke the heads of two Stanley ones at £8/£9 each due to the torque needed to undo the blighters! Best way is to get a 300mm extension and use a normal bit attached to a driver.

Also, unless you know of somewhere that stocks spare parts be prepared for a (long)wait. A year or so ago we had huge problems obtaining new HF drivers so now keep them in stock as they seem to easily blow when hiring out to DJs!

Andy

to be totally honest, if you want a system that sounds great and is consistently reliable, bite the bullet, spend a little bit extra and buy a pair of EV SXA250's. I doubt you'd even need a sub with these they have so much punch.

for the money, they are easily the best powered tops I've heard.

Archived