Setting up a foldback

pacmunchkin

I'm very new to the game, and need to set up for a band tomorrow, and I'm unsure about setting up a foldback.

Last week, I was there and it was set to aux 1, but I don't know how to get the signal from aux1 to the speaker itself.

I know that there is a panel in the control room that conects to one on the stage. Will they have the relevent connections?

Any help?

Cheers

Probably, but without WAY more information it's impossible to be any more definite than that.

What mixer do you have, what make and model of monitors will you be using (in particular are they powered or not), what connectors are on the boxes you mention and how are they labelled?

Every installation is a little bit different, and without the information above (and probably more I've forgotten to ask) nobody will be able to be definite.

Bob

Last week, I was there and it was set to aux 1, but I don't know how to get the signal from aux1 to the speaker itself.

I know that there is a panel in the control room that conects to one on the stage. Will they have the relevent connections?

Are the monitor speakers active (amp built in) or passive (requires an external amplifier)?

Signal chain might be as follows:

For active:

Desk Aux 1 output (XLR/Jack)------> wall tie line in control room (XLR/Jack)-----> corresponding tie line on stage XLR/Jack) ----->Speaker input (XLR/Jack)

There may be a patch panel involved. somewhere in between control room and stage.

For passive:

Desk aux 1 output (XLR/Jack) ----> Tie line in control room (XLR/Jack)----> Amp rack input (XLR/Jack) ---> Amp rack output (speakon) ----->Tie line to stage (Speakon) --------> Stage tie line (speakon) -------> Speaker input (Speakon)

Again the amp rack might be next to the desk, might be on stage so the speaker is closer. There may also be patch panels or multicores involved. Normally patch panels have been helpfully labelled at both ends (though not always....) so go and have a look, and take a piece of paper with you, to write down what goes where.

But the big question is, can you not ask someone who knows the setup better? If Aux 1 was there last week, who's to say it isn't this week? If it aint broke, don't fix it - in other words check to see if it works before pulling any wires out and trying to re patch.

You've been a great help neilalexrose. Thanks.

I'm off to the venue this evening, but just wanted a better knowledge of what I was looking at before I got there.

It may very well still be set up, if it is, then I won't touch it. But the guy who was there last week won't be this week.

Archived