Question about Meyer in a Show Lounge

Philrichmond

Hello all,

I am currently floating around New Zealand on a cruise ship working as stage manager, which pretty much means I mix sound, program lighting and run the shows at night. The sound system on here differs from the setup I am used to, normally there is a Meyer line-array either side of the stage with subs integrated into the wall. When arriving here, there are 3 Meyer CQ1's hung in-front of the proscenium and 4 Meyer USW1's in the wall. This I mix on an Allen & Heath GL2800. Lots of bands, tracks and vocals.

My question is this, what do I route through the centre speaker? The previous stage manager just had track, vox and band at 0db throughout the matrix but I'm sure this is not right.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also I did search this but came up empty handed, apologies if this has been covered already.

Thanks

Phil.

It's hard to be definite here because you don't mention the model and coverage of the line arrays either side of the stage, but an educated guess:

The CQ 1 has a very wide dispersion pattern and is often used as a downfill to provide coverage of the centre/front rows when line arrays are covering the rest of the venue. That'd be my guess as to what's happening here, in which case it's right to feed the same mix as the line arrays, albeit with levels adjusted to provide even coverage.

Bob

I think he means there are 3 CQs across the top of the proscenium, maybe set up as LCR. Unless each of the speakers covers the entire audience, it is not a real LCR system and must be run as an exploded mono system. It seems unlikely that each CQ1 covers the whole audience.

Mac

Re-reading the OP you may be right, mac. I read his "normally" as meaning the present set up as having a line array left and right of the proscenium as well as the CQ1s he mentions. However, I now think your reading could be right.

Question for the OP: are the CQ 1s in a cluster in the centre or spaced Left-Centre-Right across the pros arch?

Bob

Question for the OP: are the CQ 1s in a cluster in the centre or spaced Left-Centre-Right across the pros arch?

Bob

Thank you for your swift reply's ! The CQ1's are positioned LCR across the arch, I would upload a pic but the satelite internet here is slower than dial-up!

On the a&h sound desk, the matrix outs are - Sub - Center - L&R - Delays, are you saying that I should route the band evenly over the matrix?

Thank you again,

Phil.

Unless each CQ is covering the entire audience area you need to send everything everywhere. If you don't have any downstream processing, there is little reason to have more than a single mono send to all 3 CQ1s. If there is downstream processing you might want to delay the L & R feeds to match the center in the overlap region between speakers.

Mac

Hello all,

I am currently floating around New Zealand on a cruise ship working as stage manager, which pretty much means I mix sound, program lighting and run the shows at night. The sound system on here differs from the setup I am used to, normally there is a Meyer line-array either side of the stage with subs integrated into the wall. When arriving here, there are 3 Meyer CQ1's hung in-front of the proscenium and 4 Meyer USW1's in the wall. This I mix on an Allen & Heath GL2800. Lots of bands, tracks and vocals.

My question is this, what do I route through the centre speaker? The previous stage manager just had track, vox and band at 0db throughout the matrix but I'm sure this is not right.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also I did search this but came up empty handed, apologies if this has been covered already.

Thanks

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Not answering your question Phil, but which ship are you on? I have one of my acts joining Oriana when she gets to Australia, for a leg of the world cruise??

SHEILA

However, if the system is true LCR (Left, Centre, Right) and the centre cluster is providing more than fill, then the theory goes that you can give vocals and spoken word more clarity by putting them through the centre cluster, and then use the LR hangs for instruments etc. It is rarely possible, even when you specifically design a system to get a completely true LCR image, so you could put a little bit of vox in the LR and a little bit of instruments in the centre cluster to compensate.

For further reading, try church production magazine, or Prosoundweb, as it seems to be somethingI've mainly heard of being used in US churches.

Matt

Archived