DataVideo SE-800

GazBar

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using the DataVideo SE-800. We are thinking of using one in a schhol video studio. The setup will basically be two cameras (Possibly Sony DSR 250's), JVC SR-DVM700 DVR & PC output for chroma key using a Reflecmedia litering kit. The output will either go back to the DVR or into Premiere.

Couple of questions, Can anyone comment on the suitability of the SE-800 and does this setup seem sensible.

Thanks in advance for any advice and ideas

Garry

Have to say I hate the desk and the 4 input monitor screens. It was ordered before I started working at the school but I've had to use it for the last 3 years <_< .

One of the screens failed during the 2nd show, had it 'fixed' and it now comes on about 5sec after the others on a good day, then shortly after the headphone socket on the desk broke off.

Not that it will affect you so much in a studio but if the desk looses connection with a camera for whatever reason (power loss/cable unplugged) it often requires a desk reboot to get that channel back online (very nice mid show when there's live capture and internet streaming fed from the output).

The desk feels very 'plasticky' and for the cost I might have expected something with more of a professional feel. I do like the cross-fader though ;) .

We've used it probably 10 times now for shows and I've not found any feature on the desk that I can't do in Premiere apart from the time saved in post-production editing (assuming you get it right first time). It does have several options for key filtering but again in Premiere you can layer up many keys and I find you can get much better results.

Sorry this sounds so negative, maybe I've just been unlucky in my experiences with this desk. If you are ever near Bingley, West Yorkshire, PM me and you can come and have a play with our desk before you buy.

I have no personal experience of using the LiteRing but I have heard some good comments about them. If it's for a fixed location would a chroma screen not be cheaper?

Thanks for the reply. If we get the SE-800 it will not have the lcd monitor section. We have 4 JVC 14" monitors in the spec. The studio space is basically the corner of a classroom that will be used for other things so a fixed chroma screen may be difficult.

Garry

Archived