mixing live feeds?:S:S

drummerrhys

I have been asked to be the video director if you like for an upcoming gig at school.

being used to doing lighting and sound I have been thrown in at the deep end here and need some help.

what should I use to mix the signals together and how? they need to be recorded onto a hard drive and also streamed to a projector on stage.

any ideas?

And how and in what manner do you want to do your record?

For example - are you doing iso records (that is, a record of each camera, seperatly), do you want your IMAG (that is, the mix going to screen) to be recorded, or do you want two separate mixes - one for IMAG, one for record?

On top of that, what sources (ie cameras, computers, dvd players) and what format do you want to output in (ie composite, RGBHV etc)

to be honest you will get nothing for £100 to do live production work. Even dom3stic HDD recorders are more than that. Youre only real hope is finding someone who owns a small vision mixer who would be willing to loan you it for the event.

Sorry to be so pessamistic but Ive had to use 2*2 Channel vision mixers daisy chained justto get 3 inputs for cameras due to lack of budget. You might want to look into some kind of PC system. It might let you feed a projector, though you are likely to get large delays and lose sync with processing times.

HTH

John

Reason for edit: I Cant Spell <_<

I can confidently say I was in a situation just about exactly the same as yours. I posted a topic oin the BR and it is around here somewhere...

Onyhoo.

The first thing I looked at (and cheapest of the expensive hardware... I think) was this. However, I doubt that you will end up getting it.

The second thing that I looked at was this. But even software is still about £300 over budget.

I ended up with this. This is a very good piece of software, and its free!! <_< They guy who wrote it is around the BR. - with this setup I had one camera connected to a laptop via firewire and VGA splitter, one end going to the projector about 55m away and the other to a 2nd monitor. Worked a treat!

As far as recording goes.. dunno! sorry. I suppose if you use screenmonkey then you could find some good screencast software and just record the 2nd monitor.

Hope this helps, Scott.

Hang on - you mean your school has no video kit at all? Most have some basic vision mixing kit - don't they teach media studies? A few cameras a mixer, a few monitors and projectors and dvd recorders? Hardly rare kit nowadays?

I think you better give us the full list. "obviously" - means we have to guess.

P

Wow - there was a joke coming about electric light and carpets, but I've deleted it.

Maybe the Scotland system doesn't cover this one - both my sons had it as one of their GCSE options and that's quite a while ago for the oldest one - the local colleges here have been doing it since the early 1990's. During y school ad college visits across England and Wales, it's a common subject - although performing arts is more popular.

If they don't have the kit - seems a bit odd they suggested doing t?

Hang on - you mean your school has no video kit at all? Most have some basic vision mixing kit - don't they teach media studies?

Our media studies dept. has gone down the road of photography and Photoshopping magazine covers, newspaper theory and film studies. They don't touch anything to do with actual video mixing beyond a little bit of iMovie work for the 6th form. I'm starting to get them interested in actual filmmaking and video work, but it's an uphill struggle. All the video cameras are actually in the Creative and Performance Arts dept.

Archived