WYSIWYG

gallente

ive got the WYSIWYG demo version, and im looking at unlocking it soon, but I want to manualy control the lights in live mode (or a different mode) an maybe set up some fx's, ive found that the program comes with a 'Miniconsole' but I dont know how to get it working with the program/lights. Does anyone know?

Hi, here's a quick overview of how to use the Miniconsole in Live Mode:

- Make sure the lights you want to control are patched to a DMX universe

- The Miniconsole only has 24 channels and will only control DMX address 1 - 24 on any given universe, so bear this in mind when you're assigning DMX addresses.

- Open the Miniconsole software from the WYSIWYG folder on the Start Menu.

- Go into Live Mode in the main WYSIWYG application and open Device Manager

- Insert New Miniconsole device (listed under consoles by CAST)

- Open its Properties and bind it to the DMX universe your lights are on.

- Exit the properties window and then hit Connect.

- Device Manager should now show the Mini Console as connected, and the faders should now control the lights you've patched.

This is pretty basic as you only have 24 channels of single preset control, so you can only set up one state at a time - you won't be able to get much in the way of FX going! Though you could patch 1 or 2 moving lights across these channels and play around with the attributes. Or it may be easier to do this in Design Mode where you can select any light and adjust any of its attributes without using any kind of console at all.

If you want to try using WYG for real-time visualisation from a better virtual console than Miniconsole then you could connect it to Hog PC, say, which will integrate to the WYG software directly without worrying about external DMX etc. Though you have to have Hog PC and WYG running on the same PC (not so good for performance or screen space) or link them over a network using something like SandNet.

If you want any more info then let me know and I'll try to help.

right ive done all of what was said above, but the lights still arnt working in live mode, I havent got acces to any desks, except a Strand 300, can I connect to that, if so, what would I need (eg cables?)

but I realy wanna get this mini console to work, cos im gunna b doin alot of the stuff at home an I cant connect to anything

(oh and btw, when I connect the mini console, it says the only universe that I can use, is an EDMX, is that the same as a DMX? ive connected up the lights to the EDMX universe, ive put them in channels and patched them, but they still wont work, is there anything I need to do to the curcuit? if so, what)

cheers, im new to this so all help would be most appreciated!

Hi,

You'll need to patch the lights onto a DMX universe (not EDMX). To create a new universe that you can patch to:

- Go into Data Mode

- Select Patch tab in bottom half of screen

- Left hand Panel should show the Patch universes (initially only EDMX)

- Right click and select 'New Patch'

- Enter a name for the new universe (e.g. A)

Now you can select DMX universe A (or whatever you called it) for your fixtures to be patched to, and if you go back to Live Mode, the Device Manager will let you bind the Miniconsole to your new DMX universe.

Then it should all work.

To use the Strand 300 with WYG you'll need to connect the DMX stream into your PC via some other DMX input hardware, e.g. a WYG-it box (also produced by Cast Software), or Vision2000 box etc.

The other thing to mention is that once your demo period has expired, you can only access Live Mode in at the WYSIWYG Perform product level, not Report or Design, so bear this in mind if you purchase the product.

Cheers,

David

ah excellent its working now! but another problem.....the intelligent lighting (or moving head as there called in WYSIWYG) arnt working at all. anyone got any ideas on that???

Can you elaborate a little more ie tell me what fixtures you are using and what you are trying to do remember as previously posted the Mini console only has 24 channels.

Kind Regards

Andy

Authorised Wysiwyg Trainer

AC Lighting Ltd.

oh it dosnt matter cos I worked it out now, took some time though. thanks everyone who has helped.

heres another question for you, is there any other software like Miniconsole that you can get from the internet, that maybe has more channels, that u can create FX's, or anything like that

Heres another question for you, is there any other software like Miniconsole that you can get from the internet, that maybe has more channels, that u can create FX's, or anything like that.

Yes,

Grand MA offline editor www.malighting.de

Hog PC www.flyingpig.com

I think both Strand and Zero 88 have them as well.

Regards

Andy

Ac Lighting Ltd

Heres another question for you, is there any other software like Miniconsole that you can get from the internet, that maybe has more channels, that u can create FX's, or anything like that.

Yes,

Hog PC www.flyingpig.com

Regards

Andy

Ac Lighting Ltd

Z88 do have a frog offline editor but it cannot be hooked up to WYSIWYG. The Strad OLE can not be used under XP as it requires DOS to run

Yes,

Hog PC www.flyingpig.com

Regards

Andy

Ac Lighting Ltd

Z88 do have a frog offline editor but it cannot be hooked up to WYSIWYG. The Strad OLE can not be used under XP as it requires DOS to run

Umm,

The linking of The Frog series OLE to WYSIWYG has been mentioned several times in the Frog forum and is deffinetly something I would like to see implemented!

Maybe something for Z88 To think about

Sam

Z88 do have a frog offline editor but it cannot be hooked up to WYSIWYG.  The Strad OLE can not be used under XP as it requires DOS to run

Umm,

The linking of The Frog series OLE to WYSIWYG has been mentioned several times in the Frog forum and is deffinetly something I would like to see implemented!

Maybe something for Z88 To think about

Sam

Would it really be worth Zero 88s while tho? Lets face it the Frog series is mostly aimed at a user(s) who have no need for WYSIWYG so I really don't think it'd be a good use of the Z88 teams resources.

Of course there might be one or two who want too, but I think they are greatly outnumbered by all the schools, small theatres etc out there

Just my ?0.02

Stu

<Previous quotes snipped to prevent pyramid>

Would it really be worth Zero 88s while tho? Lets face it the Frog series is mostly aimed at a user(s) who have no need for WYSIWYG so I really don't think it'd be a good use of the Z88 teams resources.

Of course there might be one or two who want too, but I think they are greatly outnumbered by all the schools, small theatres etc out there

Just my ?0.02

Stu

This is the point that has been made in the frog forum by Z88. It does not seem woth there while to support WYSIWYG. However there was talk of there own vis program that they would sell but nothing seems to oh happened about it. Probably because it wasent demed cost effective.

Archived