Followspot operating tips?

mfenton

I suppose what you really need is the automatic tracking followspot developed by the University of Southhampton.

Sounds a bit more interesting than my current third year project in the department!

Having not heard about this until now, and not seen it in use I can't really comment, but considering the amount of control theory lectures that they teach us here, I'd be suprised if all the overshoots and lags are that bad. I'm sure theres someone here who knows how to make it fairly responsive!

Although the system could possibly be screwed up if theres a harsh member of the audience with a ultrasound transmitter :-p.

Just a shame that none of the shows we do here use followspots that much really.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was used at a gig I crewed at Southampton Guildhall with some metal type outfit.
It has occurred to me in the light of the above post and the cold light of day, that it may not have been the same system. The one I saw in use was some time back (more than I really want to admit) but I'm pretty sure that it was ultrasonic. If I'm wrong, sorry Soton Uni!

I suppose what you really need is the automatic tracking followspot developed by the University of Southhampton.

Sounds a bit more interesting than my current third year project in the department!

Having not heard about this until now, and not seen it in use I can't really comment, but considering the amount of control theory lectures that they teach us here, I'd be suprised if all the overshoots and lags are that bad. I'm sure theres someone here who knows how to make it fairly responsive!

Although the system could possibly be screwed up if theres a harsh member of the audience with a ultrasound transmitter :-p.

Just a shame that none of the shows we do here use followspots that much really.

Hi Wol,

Have a look at this linky if you haven't already seen it.

Hi Wol,

Have a look at this linky if you haven't already seen it.

Yea, I'd looked at that, which is where I found out that it was a third year project of a student. But considering I'm part of the Uni backstage society, and the person who did that project was probably part of it too, I was suprised that noones really mentioned anything here in the last few years.

Third year projects also have 10 thousand word reports detailing the project, so would be interesting to see it for that project. Might have a poke around on the internal site later.

Archived