Furse Regal Dimmers

Mexi

Sorry for making my first post on here a help request but.....

Im doing the lighting for a amdram panto in a couple of weeks. The dimmers there are old furse regal units. Popped in to the hall last week and noticed that a few of the lanterns arn't working. Not too much of a problem because we're hiring some in, but I'm assuming some of the fuses in the dimmer rack may have popped.

Does anybody know what size fuses would be needed in the dimmer racks? Are they just the standard 1 1/4" ones? Im trying to be prepare for once, just to reduce the normal panic!

thanks in advance.

Ideal world Yes, but the problem is we only hire the hall for the get in and show. The fuses are behind a panel and dont appear the easiest to get at. Just wanted to get everything ready 'just in case'. There won't be a lot of time for driving round hunting for fuses the week of the show. To make it worse I'm at "real work" during the day.

Don't you just hate it when lazy so & sos just can't be bothered to do a Google search!

The first hit (apart from this thread) from a search on "furse regal fuse" brings up a CCT price list including:

Fuses - Price per pack of 10

003066* 10A F562 fuse for Furse EDRC, Regal/Delta, Strand Tempus, etc £26.00

Then search for "F562 fuse" and the second hit - Stage Electrics Webshop - gives:

10 x FUSE LC10 10A CARTRIDGE F562 £6.75

QED

David

Ahhh didnt think of that - I was searching for "Furse Regal Dimmers" didn't think of putting "fuse in".

Remember that these are old and tired dimmer packs and it's possible that a couple of thyristors may have protected their fuses by popping first! If you can't get in to check them out before your fit-up it may be a good idea to try to source a backup dimmer pack, just in case.

David

Try to source a backup dimmer pack, just in case.
This would require a desk as well...as the regal packs only work with Furse 'FMX" gear (unless you have a converter from CCT). Also, if its anything like our schools old install it may be a hardwired system (the regal packs are hardwired), and the mains supply to the dimmers could also be hardwired.

Try to source a backup dimmer pack, just in case.
This would require a desk as well...as the regal packs only work with Furse 'FMX" gear (unless you have a converter from CCT). Also, if its anything like our schools old install it may be a hardwired system (the regal packs are hardwired), and the mains supply to the dimmers could also be hardwired.

The dimmer racks are hard wired in (supply and outgoing ways). The existing board does bother me because of the age and some of the faders arnt exactly smooth operating (scared to death is more of the phrase). It was working last week which is a good sign!

We are hiring in a Jester and a DMX dimmer pack to give an additional six channels and programmed control (from the 32A single phase outlet already there). I would love to swop the single phase outlet to a three phase 63A, hire dimmers in and flex out to the theatres lanterns, but the budget and time wont allow. It isnt our building so I dont think they'd appreciate use changing the socket. Ah well. It all adds to the excitement!

Just pleased I discovered multipars last year - I can run twelve of them from the 32A supply. I learnt all about FMX when I google searched "Furse Regal Dimmers"!

The dimmer racks are hard wired in (supply and outgoing ways). The existing board does bother me because of the age and some of the faders arnt exactly smooth operating (scared to death is more of the phrase). It was working last week which is a good sign!We are hiring in a Jester and a DMX dimmer pack to give an additional six channels and programmed control (from the 32A single phase outlet already there). I would love to swop the single phase outlet to a three phase 63A, hire dimmers in and flex out to the theatres lanterns, but the budget and time wont allow. It isnt our building so I dont think they'd appreciate use changing the socket. Ah well. It all adds to the excitement!

Could be useful insurance if you could find a source for the loan of a couple of 4-way Multidims. In extremis that would give you an additional four channels / 3kW of DMX dimming per pack, fed from any available 13amp outlet. The packs can simply be hung from a bar using a hook-clamp and safety bond. They can be a handy get-out-of jail card when you're faced with a dodgy village hall installation and need a handful of extra circuits in a hurry!

David

Providing the multi-dims themselves don't fail (as mine has a habit of)....or blow a fuse and you have to go up in the rig to change it.

True - but I wasn't suggesting that you use Multidims as your primary dimming in a major theatre. "Going up in the rig" in your average village hall isn't usually very demanding - often only a short stepladder climb!

However the fuse issue is worth bearing in mind - a lamp failure can easily take out the channel fuse and you should always keep spares when running Multidims.

David

Archived