Q-Build?!

Baltheros

I have the reponsibilty of kitting out a performance space. Whilst at Uni I can remember using something similar to Q-build as you can 'create' interesting staging designs. However, occasionally we have dance performances and I'm unsure as to the suitablity of this style of kit. Are there any kits available that have the flexibilty of this kit and the durablity to hold a dance? If such a thing exists...where could I purchase?

Cheers!

We have some q-build and it's versatile. I'd be wary of it for dance because the plywood surfaces just lie on the steel frames. This is fine for choirs and a bit of acting but the tops tend to move when people stand near the edges and clunk loudly when they step off. I think that might be a problem for dance. We did succeed in making it quieter for a particular purpose but it was a bit of a hassle.

We have some q-build and it's versatile. I'd be wary of it for dance because the plywood surfaces just lie on the steel frames. This is fine for choirs and a bit of acting but the tops tend to move when people stand near the edges and clunk loudly when they step off. I think that might be a problem for dance. We did succeed in making it quieter for a particular purpose but it was a bit of a hassle.

I may purchase a sepearet dance floor but the Q-Build will be fine for acting. Can you remember where you got it from as finance require four quaotes prior to purchase...pains in the ass!

I am working for a staging company and I travel all over the country to demonstrate this wonderful stage to schools, colleges, churches-cathedrals etc and it is similar to Q-build but without all the problems associated with it as you mentioned in your plight to find a suitable replacement.

The company and the product is called Unistage - it was designed by our M.D. who used to work as a designer for the company that produces Q-Build many years ago. It is more flexible and a lot stronger and less noisey and does not have the black silly plastic plugs in the top. I strongly suggest you look on the Unistage.co.uk web site to arrange for a free demonsration of this light-sturdy-quiet modular staging.

p.s. sorry for this second reply - but sent the first one in error as it was my first time. Cheers :)

The beauty of the Q-build system, especially in the education enviroment is that almost every school has some and that cross hire/borrowing is really easy for that one event that you need a few more blocks. Outside the education circuit it's worth finding out what your local hire companies have in stock, just in case you ever find the need to hire in a bit more.

We have the Q-Build at the school and the Q-Build+ at the theatre I work at, over the years the range has been improved a lot and I wish some of the accessories / colours that you can now buy were available when we had the capital budget. Personally I don't see the advantage of the '+' 900x750, instead of 750x750.

On the whole, it has it's faults but in a school I wouldn't have bought anything else. when you do speak to Stage systems to get the brochure, do make sure you are sitting down when you get to the price list however.

I would take a look at the Stage Systems web site, they don't just do Qbuild, but a whole range of staging to suit different requirements. They also have a great design department who, if you tell them your requirements, will come up with exactly what you need!

Archived