What to do with bass cabs?

jsweet

One of the really useful things to do here on the Blue Room is to read as much as possible before asking a question - the usual response to a question like this is an instant reply saying: More info required

We have no idea what you have, what you're using them for etc etc so a good reply would be "double what you already have?"

So - what exactly are the things you have? "A pair of averaged 600W combined loudspeakers" sadly means zilch.

We need proper makes, models, specs and usage. 600W doesn't mean very much really.

If you can post back a full explanation of what you have and what you're trying to achieve - maybe we can help.

One of the really useful things to do here on the Blue Room is to read as much as possible before asking a question - the usual response to a question like this is an instant reply saying: More info required

We have no idea what you have, what you're using them for etc etc so a good reply would be "double what you already have?"

So - what exactly are the things you have? "A pair of averaged 600W combined loudspeakers" sadly means zilch.

We need proper makes, models, specs and usage. 600W doesn't mean very much really.

If you can post back a full explanation of what you have and what you're trying to achieve - maybe we can help.

The problem here is that these speakers were sold to me by an uncle who had them custom made, I don't really know all the specs of them, they have no info on them, I do know there not continuos?, they also came with a custom amp/mixer which all I can fathom is it has 8ohms on each channel.

I just need a guidance of how much this is going to cost me to get this up and running

J

Jsweet,

So, you have a mixer-amp, a pair of custom made speakers and you're shortly to be getting some bass boxes.

Do you have all the connecting cables (mains lead for mixer-amp, speaker cables etc.)?

Does it all actually work at the moment when you plug a cd player or whatever into the amp?

What do you want to use the whole outfit for when you've got it all working together (disco, theatre, carnival float)?

What make is the mixer-amp, or is that a custom job as well?

Do you have any idea what the impedance (in Ohms), the existing speakers are?

If not, have you had a look inside them to see what's written on the drivers?

All this will dictate whether you can, and how you might be able, to add the bass boxes to the system.

Come back with some more details, and we'll be closer to providing suggestions.

Pete.

What I'm planning to do here is to set up a completely different sound system from the custom stuff (mixer/amp and the speakers) just using the bass cabs, I know I would need to get hold of tweeters, amp and a splitter of some sort. I was just hoping someone could give me some guidance on how much this is all going to cost and some vague spec guidance.

J

I think you are saying you have a pair of unknown bass cabs and you want to add HF units - I suspect that it will simply sound awful, and you're wsting your time. The 'splitter' is called a crossover. have a look at maplins and cpc for ideas.

Loudspeaker design is so much more than buying bits, bunging them in a box and hanging an amp on the end.

its for a variety of things, portable club/DJing would be where it would be used most often,

"I think you are saying you have a pair of unknown bass cabs and you want to add HF units - I suspect that it will simply sound awful, and you're wsting your time. The 'splitter' is called a crossover. have a look at maplins and cpc for ideas.

Loudspeaker design is so much more than buying bits, bunging them in a box and hanging an amp on the end"

I know gettin a system is more than that, THATS WHY I AM ASKING FOR THE ADVICE!!!!!!! I DONT HAVE THE BINS YET!!! I DONT KNOW THE SPECS!!!!!

I am a complete noobie to this sort of stuff thats why I am asking for help!!

J

No need to SHOUT at the very people trying to help you.

Normally I'm not so blunt, but basically - ask a daft question and you won't get answers you like.

If you had told us exactly what you want to do, maybe we could have helped.

You are getting some bass cabs, you don't know what they are or what drivers they have in them, you now want to add extra drivers to make them into full-range? Yes or No? We are not mind readers.

Well - before you get them, find out what is in them. They could be great bins - then you would be better buying a set of smallish full range cabs to complement them.

what is the point of asking questions that can't be answered.

THATS WHY I AM ASKING FOR THE ADVICE!!!!!!! I DONT HAVE THE BINS YET!!! I DONT KNOW THE SPECS!!!!!

Why waste our time until you know.

I'm not normally as blunt as this, leave that to others, but yelling at us and expecting a response is likely to get you nowhere at all!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
No need to SHOUT at the very people trying to help you.

Normally I'm not so blunt, but basically - ask a daft question and you won't get answers you like.

If you had told us exactly what you want to do, maybe we could have helped.

You are getting some bass cabs, you don't know what they are or what drivers they have in them, you now want to add extra drivers to make them into full-range? Yes or No? We are not mind readers.

Well - before you get them, find out what is in them. They could be great bins - then you would be better buying a set of smallish full range cabs to complement them.

what is the point of asking questions that can't be answered.

THATS WHY I AM ASKING FOR THE ADVICE!!!!!!! I DONT HAVE THE BINS YET!!! I DONT KNOW THE SPECS!!!!!

Why waste our time until you know.

I'm not normally as blunt as this, leave that to others, but yelling at us and expecting a response is likely to get you nowhere at all!

Paul

I'm sorry but I was just wondering if it was worth taking them on if I'm not gonna be able to afford to get them up and running

Archived