Martin Mac TW1 - Hire

Ken Coker

Dear All

Does anyone have Martin TW1s in their hire stock?

I may need up to twenty for a weekend at the end of January for a gig in the Northwest - a local supplier would be preferable.

Lite Alternative, my first port of call, are sadly unable to help - all they have are out.

Cheers

KC

Given the north-western location of the job, if you're going to try ELP give Darren a call on 0161 953 6630 - he's ELP's "man in the north" - a helpful chap, but I don't think they hold any significant amounts of gear locally. Dunno whether HSL have any in stock - they seem to have invested pretty heavily in Robe kit - but they're worth a try anyway.

Edit : I wonder, why, when Ken specifically asked for recommendations for a north-west-based supplier, people are suggesting places like Essential (London), White Light (London), and HTH - which I assume is Hawthorns (Leicestershire)? Odd ...

Yes HTH is Hawthorns (Which I was led to believe when I used to work there was "Hawthorn Theatrical Hire", which obviously stems before they dropped the "theatrical" from the company name), as to whether they stock any TW1 I'm not so sure, I've certainly not heard this and it's not on there online hire stock. Also they we're tending to invest a lot more in the clay paky moving light range recently (Alpha spots and washes) and moving away from Martin. Although I could be wrong and they may have bought some TW1's.

One reason for there being a lot of companies all over the country could be to do with the TW1 Fixture, as it's not been out that long and I don't think that many hire companies currently stock it (Although again I could be wrong!).

Cheers

Dan

Given the north-western location of the job, if you're going to try ELP give Darren a call on 0161 953 6630 - he's ELP's "man in the north" - a helpful chap, but I don't think they hold any significant amounts of gear locally. Dunno whether HSL have any in stock - they seem to have invested pretty heavily in Robe kit - but they're worth a try anyway.

Edit : I wonder, why, when Ken specifically asked for recommendations for a north-west-based supplier, people are suggesting places like Essential (London), White Light (London), and HTH - which I assume is Hawthorns (Leicestershire)? Odd ...

....because as the OP states in his opening post, a 'preferable' supplier :) . It was not worded as is if he was only open to local suggestions! Hence why some people have given local suppliers and others given suppliers a bit further away. You never know, he might be able to get a better deal from somewhere further away! .... and was it really neccasery for the edit Gareth?... keep it to yourself and you might not loose as much sleep over these forums!! :P

A local supplier is preferable

Seems Ken did say local - I have to say I too was surprised at the essentially Southern responses.

I can't see anything to be upset about in Gareth's post and edit?

The OP got plenty of answers - knowing Ken, the big names supplied are already in his phone (or maybe filofax?) so looking for people closer to home was, I suspect his intent. There really was no need for the snappy comment!

sorry to be picky here but Jon , your rant was quite uncalled for!! Ken DID actually state "a local supplier is preferable"

if your living in the NW of england , London isnt local!!

sorry to point that out!!

what about procon in Germany? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :P :P

Dear All

Many thanks to those who replied. A number of suppliers have been in contact and a number of options

have been suggested; the LD is locked in a darkened room all weekend and I shall be beating him with a stick every hour until he makes up his mind.

For the record;

LiteAlt have 7 TW1s

White Light have 14

SLX have at least 20

HSL have none

Sadly I have yet to contact Procon - although, as a valued prospective client, if they'd like to take me away for a weekend in Germany they can PM me.

We can probably shut this thread now.

Many thanks

KC

PS: I shall be spending a number of hours considering the semiotic implications of :

.... his phone (or maybe filofax?) .............

mmm.........thinking about it, I think Paul probably means I'm just old rather than a yuppy bastard......phew, I was worried for a bit!!

You might try Northern Stage Services at Shaw, Oldham, They are Northern -it's in the name- and they are pretty well placed for going West, M62 -M6.

Re White Light, I know they are now totally London based but John Anderton & Jeff Demain who ran White Light North and who now operate as Performance Space Ltd are working very closely with White Light and acting as White Light agents in certain cases.

Many thanks to those who replied. A number of suppliers have been in contact and a number of options

have been suggested; the LD is locked in a darkened room all weekend and I shall be beating him with a stick every hour until he makes up his mind.

Mind made-up- 20 Mac 700 Washes. Is it morning yet ?! :rolleyes:

Archived