strand designers remote

tij5987

Hi all,

Just wondering wether it is possible to use an old Strand Designers Remote with a 4pin XLR type connection with a Srand 530 (not I) console? Can you convert it to a suitable connector for the AUX?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Could really do with more information about the 'designers remote' you have, any model numbers or a brief description might help. Certainlty the new remotes can connect with a 4 pin XLR as most people use scroller cable as extensions. It's quite simple to make a 4pin XLR to 7 pin for the console end (I think its a 7 but I could be wrong, its been a while since making one).

Cheers

Martin

Do you mean the old designers' remote from the Gemini/Galaxy era (beige metal box with little clicky buttons and a red LED numeric display, which was a companion product to the little red-coloured riggers' remote with the thumbwheels and up/down toggles)? If you do, then the answer's no!

If you mean the designers' remote from the GSX/LBX era (which looks kind of like a smaller, slimmer R120 remote from the 500 series), then I don't know what the answer is, although I suspect it'll still be no. BR member Kazeja is the guy who'll know the answer, if anyone does ...

Hello.

Galaxy, Gemini and Duet remotes (usually fitted with 5 way XLR connector) will not work with 500 series consoles.

GSX/LBX ones will and come with a 6 way XLR as Standard.

Unless the above remotes were modified for a particular site to use 4 way XLR's, then the only Strand remotes that spring to mind are the American ones for LBM and LP90 etc.

GSX remotes were grey and clearly labelled designers remote. The American ones were black.

Other remotes Galaxy etc were initially red for the riggers, 2 tone brown for the designers and eventually both went grey (like me with the few hairs I have left) during the Nova era.

As requested earlier, please clarify the type of remote you have.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Do you mean the old designers' remote from the Gemini/Galaxy era (beige metal box with little clicky buttons and a red LED numeric display, which was a companion product to the little red-coloured riggers' remote with the thumbwheels and up/down toggles)?
Galaxy, Gemini and Duet remotes (usually fitted with 5 way XLR connector) will not work with 500 series consoles.

Unless the above remotes were modified for a particular site to use 4 way XLR's, then the only Strand remotes that spring to mind are the American ones for LBM and LP90 etc.

Other remotes Galaxy etc were initially red for the riggers, 2 tone brown for the designers and eventually both went grey (like me with the few hairs I have left) during the Nova era.

As a bit of light thread resurrection, and to satisfy my curiosity, what is this then (I think it appeared along with bits of a Galaxy)? It does have 5 pins.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/peternewman/th_DSCF3530.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/peternewman/th_DSCF3532.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/peternewman/th_DSCF3533.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/peternewman/th_DSCF3534.jpg

Equally if anyone has a genuine use for it let me know, otherwise at some point I might try and make it a DMX riggers with a few PICs and stuff for a little project.

It's a rigger's remote - one of two remote control options from the Galaxy/Gemini era (the other being the designer's remote - along similar lines to the contemporary equivalent).

Which "other bits of Galaxy" are you now in possession of? Might be interested ... B-)

Archived