GCSE Tech

Hey I am doing tech GCSE. I am in year 10. Is there anything inparticual the examiner looks for I am planning to design and operate lights. Has anyone else done this course. If yes is there a speech you have to give to the examiner.

Main thing is JUSTIFICATION, Make sure you justify your decisions, dont do something because you fancied it and wanted to do it.

Although:

That doesnt mean you cant experiment with ideas, but do that in your research period, and put together research to enforce your design. Clear paperwork, and clear ideas, storyboards are a good idea, you dont have to be an artist, (I certainly am not) but scribble ideas down as giving someone a picture is so much clearer than trying to explain your ideas in words...

Just a couple of points, good luck!

when you say tech GCSE do you mean an actual GCSE technical theatre or whatever or are you doing it as a unit of a drama or expressive arts GCSE? if its a speciallised one, let me just pause to say 'damn you lucky!!! that wasnt avaliable to me!'. however if its part of drama, me too, im in year 10 now as well...

ive got my actual drama (eugh!) peices this year then I can focus (no pun intended) on lighting next year.

I believe the final thing involves a short presentation to the examiner, coursework, and actually designing and operating lighting for one of the groups performances

Tom

colinmonk thanks for the tips. yeah sorry I didnt explain properly I am doing drama GCSE but the technical option.but I still have to act in the lesson and our board is EDEXCEL.

Main thing is JUSTIFICATION, Make sure you justify your decisions, dont do something because you fancied it and wanted to do it.

I do want to do this and I have since I was 8 but thanks. :blink:

thanks for all your help. if you do have any other tips that would be great.

Hello Andy,

I myself carried out GCSE Technical and I did have to give the examiner a talk along with the creation of a portfolio. The main thing as Colin has already spoken about is the fact you must justify everything.

I have also posted a comment in another area of the forum, the fact that the one of the other technicians I was working with lost a lot of marks as all he did was comment on the equipment.

When I did mine, the group I was in performed the piece which I carried out the lighting and sound for then I took the examiner to a room I had previously set-up with a display about lighting and sound. Using the display showed that I had the knowledge and then upon answering the questions that covered the justification part of it!

HTH

hey I'm new to this site, I usually use www.controlbooth.com for this kind of thing but this site has more for students. I was wondering if someone who has already done gcse technical for their final assesment could tell me what documents you need to present to the examiner? obviously a lighting plan, a copy of the script with cues on it and a rigging plan but is there anything else? :blink:

thanks

adam.

As I help out a lot in a school (mostly with pupils who want to know about stage/ production management but sometimes with lighting students) I often work with 'year 10s' who are doing stuff for their GCSE Drama/ Theatre Studies but never really know what there final aim is and what sort of work they have to produce. Can anyone give me a breakdown of what exactly the course is all about and what you have to produce project wise?

Also how often do examiners actualy turnup to watch practicals, I thought they just did sopt checks and your main practical mark was assesed by a registered member of Staff within the Drama Dep. (usualy H O Dep.) Is this right

Cheers

Sam

PS- Fianlly does everyone do one Devised Piece and one scripted piece or can you do 2 devised/ 2 scripted?? more confused than I thought I was :blink: :o

I did this 2 years ago on the same board.

If you read the exam spec you will see that it really is aimed at the 'less well kitted out school'

You have to use a minimun of 8 lights to create 4 different scenes: easy huh?

The only thing is that you have to make a 5 minute presentation to the examiner (who is there for your show). You have to show her/him your folder of work, which has to include all your notes, script, gels used, rig plans, plot: everything.

The most important thing is justifying all your decisions!!! if you don't explain, you don't get the marks.

(A* student) :angry:

Archived