Identifying audio cable (Fixed runs)

palantir

Greetings all,

I'll apologise right off if I've missed this - I have done a search, honest -

Is there a convention for marking fixed-run cables as audio?

I have to get cables thro' the hall roof void over the holiday & I might as well mark them properly if there is a right way to do it. If not, I'll use yellow tape at 1 metre intervals, otherwise one of the Muppets is going to try to plug something 'orrible into them during the pre-show hysteria, sorry; Tech-week.

Merry Christmas all

Pete

Tape at 1m intervals? what for? It's the ends that need marking - nobody can plug things in in a roof void, can they? Permanent cables are usually easy to indentify as the makers usually mark them in some way during manufacture - so sorting an audio cable from a DMX or main cable is quite simple.

Can you explain what and why you're doing?

Sometimes it makes no difference if the cable is manufacturer marked. It doesn't stop some muppet builder from hacking through a 150m 16-pair star-quad multi because he didn't know better. Sometimes you do need to clearly mark sections as "PA FEED" or something similar in areas that can be accessed by other people. If you think there is a risk of it getting mixed up with something else or can foresee it getting cut, label it.

I kind of see..... but what did the muppet builder think he was chopping through - it seems that the audio multi is the only one that isn't likely to kill him! Mains, water and HVAC all seem far more dangerous. Unless you actually label it every mtr or so, which I've never seen done to the other services, it seems a bit unlikley - but as others have said, I guess it does happen.

Archived