Confused

Tripswitch

Can someone please clarify when an outdoor event becomes a Construction Site, Is it within a designated time. I ask as with the recent change in law and having to have licences and cards for different qualifications, ie IPAF for cherry pickers RTITB/CPCS for forks and CSCS for site safety, manual handling, Coshh. It seems to me that both technical outdoor events and the Construction Industry are near Identical, except Crew and technicians have far more skills and use them far more often than say a construction worker.

One, surely this should be in another section, i.e. Staging or General Tech Chat? Yes. Duly moved (Mods)

and

Two, do you mean when an outdoor space is being set up to be an outdoor event? I'm guessing that it only becomes an outdoor event (rather than a construction site) either when it opens its doors to the public, or when the construction is deemed to be complete by the construction manager.

As a CDM Co-ordinator in the consturcton indistury, I would suggest that you look to see what work is involved in the setting up of the event and whether any of the activities fall under the definition of "Construction Work" in the CDM2007 Regs. It is also worth having a look at the definition for a "Structure".

IMHO, the setting up of a large event would probably fall under the regulations and therefore require all of the duty holders (Client, Designers, CDM Co-ordinator, Principle Contractor and Contractors) to be defined and the regulations implemented. No matter how long the project was on site for, it would fall under the regulations. It would become notifiable to the HSE if the "construction work" lasted more than 30 days or involed more than 500 person hours.

I seem to remember that one of my lectures when I was at university used to under taken the role of the planning supervisor (Under the of CDM2004 Regs) for the Reading Festival.

For the best advise, contact the HSE's InfoLine on 0845 345 0055

Steve :blink:

...* Snip*...

It would become notifiable to the HSE if the "construction work" lasted more than 30 days or involed more than 500 person hours.

.. *Snip*...

Steve ;)

500 person days, not hours - Thankfully, or the day job would be hell... :blink:

Archived