Which vision mixer is better the..........

thelittlebuddha

I just had a look at these online (I should point out I have no experience of either, so take this with a pinch of salt). Aren't they both two channel mixers, and didn't you want a three channel device?

IIRC the AVE 5 is the domestic version of the MX12 - fairly similar except the MX12 has BNC's (Much nicer than Phonos for everything so for that reason alone I would go with the MX12.

James

They are both two inputs only (not including the 'key' input). However, my AVE5 has BNC and S-Video (Y/C) inputs and outputs. The phono connectors are for audio.

The review of the AVE5 on VJ Central mentions a synch problem on the MX12 but I haven't found any mention of it elsewhere.

there are often mx-50's on ebay and similar. MUCH better than the 12/5 which as previous posters say, only have two inputs. The key input just allows for a key source for captions etc, no good to get another conventional picture. mx12 is metal chassis and quite tough. the 5 is just a more plasticy version, but very similar. The only thing to look out for are the bncs, which do tend to wear with constant plugging/unplugging, causing poor contact - especially if some idiot has mixed up 50 and 75 ohm bnc's at some time.

the 12 is not tolerant of low levels on the input you are syncing from - extra long cabling or simply the wrong type of cable can lead to small reductions in the p-p level reaching the input terminals - video wise, a little loss from 1v is ok (just) but the sync pulse is already at a lower level and any reduction here tends to make stable sync a bit more difficult

Archived