Connecting TV audio outputs to amps

mrg198

I'm trying to setup some small breakout rooms for presentations at a conference this week where I am planning on connecting some video sources (dvd player, laptop etc) to a TV along with the relevant audio and then switch inputs on the tv to switch the source. To get some extra volume on the audio, I'd like to connect to the audio out on the TV (0-500mV variable with remote) to some E-PACs/ 1200A amps and E3 speakers. Question is, will the output of the TV produce a reasonable loud result or do I have to use something to act as a pre-amp to boost the level before the amps?

Usually the outputs will be at a fixed line level independent of the volume control, you should use a pre-amp to give you control over both volume & EQ although that said, theoretically if you are using a line output and running into a power amp's line input it should work but I wouldn't recommend it.

I know for sure that the volume on the audio outs can be adjusted using the TV remote as I've done it before but into computer type speakers rather than into pro amps. IIRC don't the EPACS have some basic EQ in the menu somewhere? not sure the P1200As do though. Hmm. I was trying to save the client some hire costs to rent a mixer in each room for each source and I don't have enough spare kit to do for pre-amps everywhere.

Whether the volume alters with the remote is dependent on TV model. Some do and some dont, you won't do any harm by trying but make sure the main amps are down before you start, to prevent any loud unpleasantness!!

If you have several scart connectors, and the one you pick for output doesnt alter, try another. I have one TV here where one scart is fixed (at loud!) and the other is variable.

I know for sure that the volume on the audio outs can be adjusted using the TV remote as I've done it before but into computer type speakers rather than into pro amps. IIRC don't the EPACS have some basic EQ in the menu somewhere? not sure the P1200As do though. Hmm. I was trying to save the client some hire costs to rent a mixer in each room for each source and I don't have enough spare kit to do for pre-amps everywhere.

Hi there. depends on the epac if it is one of the later digital ones then yes essential it has a form of eq under the channel settings but I dont think the P1200's do. would recomend (if you can) using a D12 as that is much easer also have tried this with a normal TV coming out of the head phone socket into a D12 via two DI's and the result was really bad. would recomend using a little desk if you can, also a cupple of DI's probably wouldnt go a miss. if you do go straight into the amp still use DI boxes (passive)

hope this helps let us know how it goes

Archived