Jands Hog 500/1000

LampTramp

Hello Blue Room!

I've had a call from a client wanting a Jands Hog Desk....for a school play of all things!!

So, looking at the spec it's just a normal desk for movers etc.. (some kid must have it on their wish list!!) <_<

If any one knows who Hires this desk please let me know!!

Thanks!

Hmm great desks, but not something you find in most people hire stock as they're a few years old now. I've a big 600, but it's out at the mo for panto. It does strike me as the sort of desk that could be ok for a school show IF they have a hog experienced programmer. Not the kind of desk to be used while learning the operating system - which does throw you from time to time unless you know the tricks. Without the movers, it does seem a little over the top.

It's also a very hard desk to use with generics, as each generic has to be patched as a desk channel and modified using the attribute wheels, as they have no faders other than the subs, which aren't actually subs, they're controls for the cuelists. On the upside, it has a very good effects engine, though this isn't so good with LEDs. But other than that, it's a fairly easy to learn interface and you can get basic palettes/cues set up very easily.

It's also a very hard desk to use with generics, as each generic has to be patched as a desk channel and modified using the attribute wheels, as they have no faders other than the subs, which aren't actually subs, they're controls for the cuelists. On the upside, it has a very good effects engine, though this isn't so good with LEDs. But other than that, it's a fairly easy to learn interface and you can get basic palettes/cues set up very easily.

Or you could control desk channels the same way as any other normal desk and type them in... and find me a recent desk that has old fashioned subs.

It's also a very hard desk to use with generics, as each generic has to be patched as a desk channel and modified using the attribute wheels,

It is no different to many larger 'theatre' desks - you can either use the key pad (deskChan 34 @ 40, deskchan 34 + 41 + 22 thru 28 @ 60) or encoder wheels.

Hog 1k is big in AU (predominantly in the corporate AV industry) - it is great in that everything is physical - unlike the Flying Pig stuff with their touch screens - where I work, we have a 1k and a Hog II (plug a grandMA and some small desks) - The hogII is newer than the 1k, yet the hogII is nearly unusable as the touch screens are almost impossible to read.

If someone has specced a 1k though, ask them why they need a 1k. There is nothing "special" about the desk. So chances are it is either for familiarity, or because they wanted to spec a desk, so they thought "Hey, that looks cool" and specced it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived