Flying an LX bar...

TomLyall

(no idea how they were fixed there),

I wouldn't think it right to comment on whether this was safe. But if you didn't know how your supporting structure was fixed, did you know it's safe working load? If you didn't then my instincts would tell me to err on the side of it not being safe.

If you're still in contact with them it might be worth suggesting they contact a structural engineer, i.e. a professional who can look at the exact situation in person and determine it's safety.

Cheers for that, I am no longer in contact, and I don't know what structure itwas attached to - I think RSJs, but I cannot be sure.

Another question, probably unrelated - if you have two pieces of scaff that have been joined together (can't think of the name of the clamp) to make one longer LX bar - then is it safe to have three equally spaced supporting scaff pieces, even though that means that one end of the LX bar is only vertically supported by one bar (although obviously attached to the other bar.) This seems to be relying on the integrity of the clamp holding the two bits of the LX bar together.

Safe or not Safe?

My thought would be that you use long double hook clamps to hang the bar, you can get them quite long I think.

Hey, I found this on another earlier post by Tom Baldwin

http://cgi.www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/theatre/products/photo/T20710.jpg

Is this the sort of thing you ment richard??

Sam

• 5 years later...

I am in the exact same situation on june 17th,

Our school is running a fashion show, And I want to position about 4 Scaff bars hung of exsisting scaff bars as the original ones are to high. My plan is to put 3 pars on each one either side, and two blinders on the middle one, and have one at the back just under the curtain, which would have four par 64's on, and we will be having four robe 250's sat on stage. Im just thinking which is the safest and easiest way to do this? Basically scaff bars hanging of F.O.H Bars!

Archived