new pa system

djtom29

Hi guys

im sure you will all know now im a year 10 student working in my school! I have done gigs outside of school and for my friend who is also on br. the last gig I did whent well but I had a problem, my pa/hifi wasnt loud enough....its prity loud but lacking in the power section.

I was hoping to get a complet pa system with a reasonable size desk (bout 16 ch) for around £700

this would include speakers and amps(if needed as I am open to using active kit) the one thing I dont want is the amp in the desk.......any ideas were I could start and where to go for equptment as this is my first "real" pa system?

thanks in advance

tom

My advice is DON'T DO IT! You're on a slippery slope to gear collection/gear lust syndrome. In 10 years time you'll have a room full of kit you never use...

If you really want to buy, in that budget I'd look at second hand. Check the history, has it been trashed, soaked in beer, thrown around by big hairy roadies etc...

If you want new stuff, look at the studiospares auditorium range.

There are some good deals out there.

10 years time? pah! I've been collecting useless studio stuff I never use, to the value of around £2k so far..

HK do reasonably priced 'decent' PA, but another "cheap" manufacturer would be the thomann "the box" range. I have a few of their wedges, and for the money they aren't bad!

Hi

I would second the studiospares stuff

Have used a couple of times and is very good

and well made for the money

I have brought a few of the drivers they use in them

for quick fix replacements for other cabs and they seem

very good quality

The 2 x 15 + CD is a monster

£700 is a big ask for the kit your after

I would go for something like a second hand pair of good old Peavey Hisys 2's

and a powered mixer

Studiomaster or dynacord

systems like this often pop up on evilbay and may come with a few extras like a mic or 2

and stands etc

A lot of people will give me abuse for suggesting the peavey,s

but for a first rig they will do you proud and you will prob be able

to sell them on after for about the same cash, they are bomb proof just a

bit heavy

most gigging mus o's I work with would still use them if it wasn't for fact they are

big wooden cabs and they like the plastic stuff now (showing my age)

Good luck

Cliveybaby

To put your problem in perspective, a single speaker cabinet in a big PA system will cost many times your £700. budget! This leaves you with two options: Cheap gear a few years old or VERY cheap gear brand new.

As others have said, it's always worth looking at the second hand market because there ARE bargains to be had. However, since I realise how big an investment this would be for a year ten, be careful to check out the background and condition of any used gear you buy. There's a big difference in risk factor between gear that was trashed nightly in a smokey heavy metal pub and other stuff that was used four times a year in a clean theatre install!

If it's new gear you want, probably your best bet would be one of the systems packafull rges from Thomann. They have lots of them and, without knowing your needs I could only guess which is best for you. However, just as an example, THIS is two tops on stands, one sub amplification (the sub is powered with outputs for the tops) and interconnect cables for about half your budget, leaving you the rest to spend on a basic Behringer mixer (maybe THIS ONE and some accessories like mics, stands, cables, etc. The Thomann stuff, while not great, is well thought of, will probably last a few years (and if it doesn't comes from a company likely to still be around) and may do the job for you. Let's just say it's a cut above "Pro Sound" gear from a noted British electronic gadget shop.

Bob

Tom,

I would suggest taking a look on www.thomann.de, and search through the speakers, mixers and such. Price up a system you like the look of, based on wattage, SPL levels, weight and dimensions (don't forget, this'll have to fit in the back of your mum/dad/friend's car) and see how much it's going to cost you. Don't forget, if you're mixing down a band, you're going to need mics, stands and LOADS of cables. It might be worth looking at buying a nice mixer, or a nice PA, and hiring in whatever else you need, when you need it.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Chris

To put your problem in perspective, a single speaker cabinet in a big PA system will cost many times your £700. budget! This leaves you with two options: Cheap gear a few years old or VERY cheap gear brand new.

With the budget you have I would only look at second hand equipment as if you know what you're looking for and you research what you're looking at you can pick up some massive bargains! (evilbay is you're friend!)

To put what "Bob" is saying in to prospective I own an 8k JBL rig that back in its day was pretty much top of the range, all be it 10 years old it still keeps up with some of the decent middle of the road kit today! if I had of bought it 10 years ago it would have cost around £12,000 - £20,000 but it has only cost me around £2,000 plus the time running around the UK buying it!

Good luck with it and as has already been said be very careful as it is highly addictive buy these kind of "toys"!

:)

Archived