Mac 500 advice appreciated

JamesP

"With a standard lens (17 degrees) you need more than 8meters trim, more is preferable, you can fit the wide lens - but in my experience that's not too successful."

Oh, you've got me confused now, what's 8 meters trim? If you mean distance from lights to stage (?), then that could be a problem as we do all sorts of venus, and some only have low ceilings.

If I were to put some at the front, would these be ok floor mounted, or would I need more trussing?

Also, different stages are different widths, so would it be ok joining two pieces of trussing (total length wouldn't be more than 20 feet though)?

Thanks

"With a standard lens (17 degrees) you need more than 8meters trim, more is preferable, you can fit the wide lens - but in my experience that's not too successful."

Oh, you've got me confused now, what's 8 meters trim?  If you mean distance from lights to stage (?), then that could be a problem as we do all sorts of venus, and some only have low ceilings.

If I were to put some at the front, would these be ok floor mounted, or would I need more trussing?

Also, different stages are different widths, so would it be ok joining two pieces of trussing  (total length wouldn't be more than 20 feet though)?

Thanks

Trim height... Yes height from stage floor to unit, with a standard lens at 6 meters trim you get a beam width of about 3 feet, with the light pointed straight down. Of course your throw distance will probably be larger and then yor beam will size will increase A simple sketch on a bit of paper will give you the answer - unless you know someone who has wysiwig - and they'll sort it out fo ryou

Lights on the floor - no problem - it all depends on the effect you want. I come for a theatrical background as far as lighting goes so I tend to think of my lights as always suspended in the air

20' span should be okay depending on truss type, again I've never put truss on stands mine is always flown and I just give my span and weight plus the location of the hard points to a rigging company and let them figure it all out. It's simpler and safer that way - I know my limits.

Archived