NJD Spectre help

avdavesound

Is the fan still cutting in an out as normal? So after about 5 mins of running it should come on.

Also check the PCB at the back for excessive dust buildup.

My hire units last about 2 years before needing stripping down and cleaning.

Hope this helps

Will

Is the fan still cutting in an out as normal? So after about 5 mins of running it should come on.

Also check the PCB at the back for excessive dust buildup.

My hire units last about 2 years before needing stripping down and cleaning.

Hope this helps

Will

ya everything works normal, fan comes in after a few mins. its seems like a heat issue on some component that makes it cut out. the lamp comes back on after awhile when it has cooled down then cuts out again after a few mins of it being on.

Guest joewhite903
ive repaired a pair off those recently, Have a look for any dry solder joints, and make sure the micro chips are in the board correctly, as will said there could be a colection of dust on the pcb or overall inside the whole unit, As far as I remeber the only thermall on the whole thing is the one for the fan, im not sure that if the fan dosent do its job it eventulay cuts out. Thats a point when it cuts out does the fan continue to run, iff so then ur fan might not be working properly, Hope helps Joe

I agree with Joe, the Spectre can suffer tiny dry joints which open up (and open circuit) when the board is warm but work fine when its cold. Rough handling can crack the copper tracks (hairline cracks) for a similar symptom. Another less likely cause is a failing triac, they do sometimes fail to turn on when hot. Also check the lamps fit tightly in the holders in case you've got a corroded contact.

If you're not handy with a soldering iron around PLCC chips then don't try to bodge it, one solder bridge and it could die forever....

• 1 month later...

new job, new kit (well old dusty kit that I found in the back of the store and rigged) so im not sure about any of the stuff, however I have just had a look at it and put another one into the daisy chain and still same problem. Guessing this is to do with it not being terminated?

the spectres are pretty usless anyway, the colour is flaking off one of the lens and it wont make white light.

I have come across the flickering problem myself. Most times I have resolved the problems by:

• checking dip switch settings (even if they look right flick them up/down to ensure they have actually made contact - particularly if the unit has been very dusty)
  • Checking cabling - is the cat5 cable actually stranded twisted pair? or correctly wired cable terminated in XLRs
  • Checking termination. Now I know this shouldn't be the case but they sometimes work best with unterminated lines and sometimes best with terminated lines!

The other time I have had a problem it was due to having a poor mains supply where neutral was nowhere near 0v.

Good luck - these are actually good laterns for the cost!

Will

The only decent thing to do with spectres is bin them!!

We use them a lot on generators and have endless problems, I think we whittled the problem down to being under hertz causing the pcb to constantly keep refreshing or something along those lines,

After trimming the hertz on the set to 51 they worked fine!

But I still refuse to bother with tem!

The lamp brilliance I think is linked with the temperature so if the fan fails to cool it properly the lamp levels will automatically restrict. However they have a jolly big fan and it shouldn't really come to this on a good unit.

I can't comment about their performance with generators, except if they dont work with a generator but work ok on mains then the generator must be a bit out of spec or not up to the job, electric is electric and the Spectres dont know where it comes from. (Maybe the generator supply is suffering harmonic distortion from the Spectre firing circuits??).

I wouldnt trust them on hire because as most people would agree, hire stock doesnt suffer fools gladly and the NJD's prefer being flown permanently.

http://www.jpleisure.co.uk/Spectre.jpg

I agree with wlaidlaw, I have the spectre kit, and I have had experience of lamps being duller and flickering slightly. I would open the spectre and give it a bloody good clean. also dry joints are often a problem in more cheaper fixtures. so allways check that option..

hope that helps

Archived