UV lights

Chris_H

Hey everyone, just been told to design lighting for the music departments end of year show, (when I say music, I mean basically the rock department).

They're pretty adament on having UV lights, what kind of lights are out there to hire for a low budget production, (I don't like using the congo blue trick though, it's just not the same).

Any help would be apreciated as usual :rolleyes:

Chris

Stage Electrics (and I'm sure others) hire out UV Cannons, which are about 400w and require hard power. They take about 5 minutes to warm up, but are okay after that.

Alternatively, you can buy UV strip lights to fit into a standard strip light fitting. Again these need hard power and time to warm up.

One thing to note: most UV Cannons are also Non Hot-Restrike. i.e. you have to leave them to cool down for several minutes before switching back on. It can be problem if you want a blackout.

The strip light tubes tend to come in 2foot and 4 foot lengths. You can also get UV versions of the low-power flourescent BC or ES lamps. These would go in a standard domestic light fitting.

Stage Electrics have the following products for hire;

Blacklight tube and Fitting (1200mm)-----Product Code BL12------Day;£6.00 Week; £8.00

Dimmable 1200mm Blacklight and Tube Fitting---Product Code FFD----Day;£11.25 Week;£15.00

400w Blacklight Flood----Product Code BL400-----Day;£22.50 Week;£30.00

575w HMI Blacklight Kit*---Product Code BL575K---Day;£135.00 Week;£180.00

* Kit contains the following= HMI Fensel, Mechanical Dimming shutter with UV Glass, DMX512 Controlled Dimming, Lamp; 575W HMI G22 Base

See page 56 of the 2001 Edition Catalogue

Hope this helps,

Sam

Archived