Which speaker is this one?

Bad_Rock

it looks between 24 and 32 inches, I could probably work it out a bit more accurately if I could be bothered, either way, its a prop, and yo can get drivers that big, it will most likely have the magnet removed to minimise weight, and thinner wood used. that said, it wouldn't be THAT difficult t move it anyway.

What has always (read : never) impressed me about such ridiculously useless drivers is the fact that they handle 10,000 watts and go down to 10Hz. So which amplifier are yo thinking of using in your car that will match this, and what design of box are you fitting into your car that will allow operation to 10Hz? With a sensitivity of 88.98dB which I shall assume is measured 1w/m 10,000 watts will theoretically put you to the 128.98dB point. Imagine if you will a (to take a random example) Fane 18xb driver, at 98dB 1w/m with its peak power rating of 2400watts (less than 25% of the other) you'll see a theoretical output of closer 132dB. I bet they're cheaper aswell.

Yeah guys, but you're comparing this stuff using maths and intellect, you haven't considered the penis factor.

Now just how big was that errm... cone...?

In terms of amplifiers; I have an idea I've expounded before. Take a containerized 1MW single phase genset, and directly modulate the field coil winding so as to directly produce audio drive. Its one of those madcap schemes I've thought about in some depth, and I believe it can be done...

Think of that, a 1MW amplifier. Assume you can get 200V AC RMS out the thing, then a 4 ohm driver gets 10KW :) Arrange drivers in series / parallel to get correct power match. Camloks for speaker distribution!!!

As this thread has morphed from "which driver" to "middle leg extension" I distinctly remember being shown a 36" driver in a huge but basic enclosure way back in 1991.

I'd visited the NAMM show and afterwards a colleague took me to a warehouse at the rear of a studio in Pasadena to see it, reputedly one of eight fully operational units previously used on a series of Fat Boys gigs - as structural reinforcement for the stage perhaps.

I did take a photo with my host standing next to the beast but have yet to find it in the thousands of pics taken over the years, long before the convenience of digital storage arrived.

The driver did look impressive at the time and I believe it was made by either Nat-Pan, Pioneer or Mitsu' for reasons best known to themsleves.

Also, the cone appeared to have been constructed using some form of Kevlar sandwich.

If I find the picture within the next day or two I'll scan it and post a link.

Ken Hughes

Archived