Effects Units

si_cole

All,

Had a request from a customer and as we dont deal with sound very much, thought I would open this one up to the BR. Have been googling for a while but not really turned anything up apart from software solutions.

Customer wants an effects unit to produce the helium voice effect - does anyone know of an effects unit that would do it, how good are they etc.

TIA

Si

As has been said, most multi-effects units have a pitch shifter that would do the job. I used the Zoom unit AV Ian mentions and it was fine; another one I've tried that I know you can still get is the Behringer Virtualiser.

There are lots of others...nowadays I use the one built into Yamaha digital mixers.

Bob

Very true, Rob. Too much upwards pitch shifting is less like helium and more like "Mr. Hanky" from South Park. (And, for the non South Park fans, I ain't gonna be trying to explain him in the Blue room!)

OT hint with panto season coming up: a suble amount of downwards pitch shift, mixed with the natural voice, is a great effect for the baddy. Just make sure you dial it out before they try to sing (unless you REALLY hate the actor!).

Bob

I used an upwards shift in Cinderella last year when she shrinks for the black light pumpkin transformation scene. I neglected to tell the fairy godmother about it in advance though... I've never seen someone struggle quite so much to keep a straight face ;)

My ART multiverb (stop laughing at the back!)

Oi! I've got one of those too. No sniggering required, it come from an era when effects units had personalities.

It's pitch shifts both up and down are quite usable in a theatrical context.

Archived