Question regarding auto-pause on Sony MD machines

TeeJay

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn on the auto-pause feature on a minidisc player - specifically the Sony MDS-JE510?

While not an urgent request (and not one I normally have to deal with anymore), I do recall there was a way of doing this without the remote.

However searching the Blue Room, Theatre Sound Mailing List and Minidisc.org is drawing a blank.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if no one knows the answer - it's just bugging me because I'm sure there is a way and I can't remember it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn on the auto-pause feature on a minidisc player - specifically the Sony MDS-JE510?

While not an urgent request (and not one I normally have to deal with anymore), I do recall there was a way of doing this without the remote.

However searching the Blue Room, Theatre Sound Mailing List and Minidisc.org is drawing a blank.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if no one knows the answer - it's just bugging me because I'm sure there is a way and I can't remember it.

Yes you can. see http://www.minidisc.org/510ins/510inst8.gif

hi happen to have about 3 of these machines, only do it on remote.

press the "A SPACE" button twice. it is located 2 lines above the play button 2nd from the right.

hope this helps

Sam

I think (but it's a long time since I've used one) that if you access the menu using the menu button on the front of the machine without a disc inserted, then you can find an option to turn autopause on or off. If you have a disc in the machine, a different menu list about editing options comes up as far as I recollect....

I couldn't swear to it, but worth a try.

the instructions on minidisc.org are how to do it with the remote control.

I think (but it's a long time since I've used one) that if you access the menu using the menu button on the front of the machine without a disc inserted, then you can find an option to turn autopause on or off. If you have a disc in the machine, a different menu list about editing options comes up as far as I recollect....

I couldn't swear to it, but worth a try.

the instructions on minidisc.org are how to do it with the remote control.

Any MD player with a menu button on will get you into the setup menu, with or without a disc in (I've just tried this on the MD520 and MD770 that are also in use at the moment) - the MD510 doesn't have a menu button, though.

I'm sure that there is some key combination that gets you into the setup menu but I'm not planning to spend the time experimenting when I have a remote (or two) handy and when we don't normally use that machine (or even have one onsite).

I probably should get back to doing work now ... :(

Unlike TeeJay, as far as I know you have to use the remote to turn on the Autopause function on the JE510, one of the reasons I bought the 520 back when I used minidisks.

That's many years back though!

Bob

update on my vague post - I've been in the store and dug out our old minidisc players; firstly the model number is MDE 640, so apologies for bum steer..., as this information may or may not have applied to 510 or 520 models.

the menu button on these machines will go straight to set-up menu with no disc inserted, and will go to edit menu then scroll to set-up with a disc in the machine - this I'd incorrectly recalled as "either / or", but was actually two ways of accessing the same thing.

I know we've now come on a long way since the MD but I did think all things considered they were really good for theatre work: the perceived sound quality being better than reel to reel or cassette, and editing being as simple as a revox and much easier than CDs at the time.

as Bobbsy indicates, beng able to access all functions without needing the remote control was a priority.

As I recall, a major difference between the JE510 and JE520 was the presence of the "Menu" button on the 520 panel...which gave you access to Setup and therefore Autopause. The 510 didn't have a front-panel Menu button.

Bob

As I recall, a major difference between the JE510 and JE520 was the presence of the "Menu" button on the 520 panel...which gave you access to Setup and therefore Autopause. The 510 didn't have a front-panel Menu button.

Bob

That appears to be the main difference, along with some cosmetic changes to button layout. It wasn't long after this that Sony began to phase out machines with auto-pause easily available as it was taking sales from the E10 pro models (the 1U models).

BTW, The 520 on this show is mine (nine years old and going strong, having long ago paid for itself)

The other two decks were brought in by the company but they didn't have the remotes (and they would have to go back across the Channel to get them). It's a good thing I supply the remote with the machine :)

Right, I'm back off to look at playback and show control software for the new audio PC ;)

Thanks for the interest

Archived