Rendering Software

goser

I am currently researching the effects of computerized lighting rendering software (eg. WYSIWYG, Vectorworks Spotlight) in the theatre industry. I would appreciate any input on how programs such as these have influenced the way lighting professionals do their job, and how they have influenced the theatre process in general. I am especially interested in how rendering programs have influenced the design communication process.

Rendering Programs and Design programs such as WYSIWYGG can benifit the production in many aspects.

Firstly the Budget- You need less time in the theatre and you can hire the right ammount of lanterns (not to man that are wasted)

Secondly Time- It quickens the process as you can compile your design (or at least ideas) before the stressful Tech Time!! This saves playing arround with the lighting in the theatre to get the very best effect when everyone else wants to move on.

Thirdly (as you said) Communication- Programs like this let you clearly present your ideas to a Director and other members of the Lighting crew in production meetings and so forth.

They are also really good to put in your portfolio to show work you have designed/ opped before.

Regards,

Sam

Archived