Electric Drum kit

cknapper

Hi all I'm doing sound for Panto this year, Just heard that I might be having a electric drum kit this year. As MD wants to keep noise from the pit a min.

Its my first one Ive used, my first question is have I got control of all the pieces of kit or do they go into a pod and mixed next to the player.

Sorry dont know the make of kit so can't give you anymore info on this.

Thank you in advance

Carl

hiya,

Most electronic kits have the pads running into a control unit which selects the correct sound for each trigger and provides some simple mixing (depending on how professional the kit is). There will probably be a mono/stereo output which you can DI and run into your mixer. If you can get the make/model it shouldn't be hard to findout what outputs the control unit has.

cheers

J

One of the bands I work with has a Roland V drum kit. On the back of the controler are balanced jack sockets for every drum/cymbel. I have made up a custom sub-core which interfaces very quickly into the multicore. No DI's are used in this setup. The 'drums' sound great to me.. No spill, studio sounding drums, no sea of mic stands, very quick to rig/de-rig. It also helps to keep the overall stage sound lower.

Find out which kit/controller you're dealing with, then download the user manual from the interweb... That's what I did anyway..

Cheers.

Roy

I have an electronic drum kit and have mixed with electronic drum kits.

If the kit has all the individual parts out then great, but if it only has a stereo out then what you can do is use the Left for the kick snare and maybe hat's so you get the main rhythum of the kit then use the right for tom's, cymbals ect.. like this you have a little more controll over the kit and the part's without having to change anything in the controller unit (Brain).

Hope this helps.

So, you'll find yourself somewhere between a stereo out, individual outs, or possibly stereo plus a couple of others, probably assignable.

If you are stuck with stereo, then it's worth remembering that you can plug a MIDI fader unit into the back of the thing and put that FOH, and you can use that to adjust the relative levels. The Peavey PC1600 is what I last used in those circumstances, and you can pick them up on eBay.

Are you going the full monty silent pit? Or just ditching the kit...

As MD wants to keep noise from the pit a min.

I wish more MDs were that considerate...

I did little shop a couple of years ago with a completely silent band - it's absolute bliss to mix like that :)

Be prepared to spend a good while getting their monitoring right, but once sorted, they can practice away to their heart's content without disturbing anyone else! If you can arrange for the MD to be able to use the comms system without changing headphones, it'll be useful as it'll save you relaying messages from the SM...

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply. Yep only M.D playing keys with his head out of pit, wont be total silent but its better than it being all open.

Monitors are a ferman foldback headphone system so they do there own mix with 6 returns from the desk !!!

Emailed the M.D and hes getting back to me soon.

Cheers Carl

Archived