are you freelance technician or in a technician in a company?

Backtrack22

Hello All!

Are you a freelance technician or working for a company. or the head director for a technical hiring company?

I have been streaming through webpages upon webpages about.... what is the tax policy for self employed/company?

Does anyone know of a website that has a breaksdown of what you should do and should know about tax policies. When working in the art industry?

If your a director of a technical hiring company what are your trade and tariff control. or if you know where a place I can find this out?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you :)

Em

For the best advice on this stuff you should get an accountant.

I may be wrong, but I can't see it making any difference whether you work in "art industry" or any other, if you have enough money coming in you pay the appropriate tax, at the applicable level.

I have been sound engineering since I was 18. When I have worked as a full time employee for a company I paid tax through PAYE, when I worked on freelance gigs, I declared my earnings and paid the appriate tax. When I worked at sea, I paid through PAYE and then claimed it back every 12 months.

If you are unsure talking to an accountant would be wise.

you can be freelance AND PAYE (and yes, you can, they are actually separate things)

HMRC are cracking down somewhat within the media industry, and many places will ask to see a schedule D notice,

the best thing to do is get an accountant (then again, I would say that :))

to be honest Emma you're question is too vague, if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask (either here or PM)

I'm not sure I've ever seen a schedule D notice, normally my unique tax ref number is sufficient. It doesn't really matter - my uncle has been a racing tipster all his life - he's in his seventies now and has never paid income tax of any kind. Two years ago he got called in by the HMRC and told after inspection not to worry! All his income is already taxed at source, so no income tax to pay - not bad, eh!

Unfortunately many accountants are not aware of many of these issues and others which seem to be pretty unique within our industry, for proof of this try asking afew about Per Deiums (PDs) amongst others and you will get a plethora of answers, most of which are wrong or at least inaccurate!

For the best information regrding the issues in question you will need to become a member of the PSA (Professional Services Association). This organisation did some extensive research into these issues a couple of years ago and published some very informative articles in the Plasa Publication lighting & Sound magazine. I've been trying to find them for some time now in my back issues but have sadly lost them in a move from a previous company. I know the information is on their website but you have to be a member to access the knowledgebase!! I have to say here that I am not associated with the PSA!!

More info can be obtained if you go to White Light's website and go to the freelancers section, they have taken much of this on board and you can get the gist by reading their conditions of engagement etc.

If anybody can turn up a copy of the PSA articles from LS&I magazine it would be great to have a link or something on here because this is a subject that appears quite often and as far as I'm concerned, those articles were definitive, can anybody help??

Guest lightnix
Have a search of the general forums for freelance, freelancer and freelancing - it's a subject that's had its ins and outs discussed many times an most of what you need to know is already in here somewhere.

...many places will ask to see a schedule D notice,

I wish them luck with that... they dont exist any more. They were replaced with the unique tax reference number.

If in doubt ring the self employed helpline... They can answer most questions!

this may be useful:

Five questions can help establish whether an assistant can be contracted as a freelancer. If you answer three or more questions as ‘employed’ it will be difficult to support the freelance contract status.

1. Does the company have to provide ongoing work and the individual undertake work?

Yes = Employed status

No = Self-employed status

2. Can the individual provide a substitute to do the work? (Assistants don’t usually provide a substitute e.g. a cameraman would provide alternative for camera assistant)

No = Employed status

Yes = Self-employed status

3. Does the worker bear financial risk e.g. profit done timely, loss if delayed. (Assistants would not normally be in control of hours worked. If work over ran, they would be paid for another day’s work)

No = Employed status

4. Can the worker hire assistance to complete the task? (Assistants would not normally hire additional support – for camera assistants, the cameraman would do this)

No = Employed status

5. Is there a written contract between the company and individual?

No = Employed status

Archived