Suitable amp set-up for Mackie system.

fosta11

Hi Guy's

Calling on your expertise once again.... I have now purchased a rig that I feel should cover most functions comprising of 4 x Mackie s215's & 4 x Mackie 218s subs. I currently have a Numark dimension 3 and dimension 4 amp which was left over from my previous set-up.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me:

1, if I should dump the Numarks and start again with a better amps (bearing in mind my buget is slim and the Numarks seem great value for money)or purchase a few more of the Numarks.

2, the best way to set the system up ie bridging etc..

3, If I need to add any additional speaker control (as the Numarks can be set to run Sub only by a pot on the back).

This system would be avalible for hire so not sure how that would affect the ystem that I would need to opt for.

Thanks in advance

Do you have a crossover / speaker management box? If not, that would be a good investment.

not yet as the subs have a built over crossover I thought this would be adequate. I just want to know which amps to use with the complete rig.

According to Mackie's site, the subs do indeed have a low pass filter on their inputs. The tops don't have a high pass filter though; without a crossover you'll probably get a build up of frequencies around 100 - 300Hz here both speakers are contributing together.

In terms of amps, you'll need something that can manage at least 500W in to 8 ohms for the tops (or at least 1100W in to 4 ohms if you're running them in parallel). For the subs, at least 750W (8 ohms) or 1600W (four ohms paralleled).

Your Numark amps look a little underpowered for this. You could run them bridged quite happily, one per speaker, but you'd need another six... Bridged in to two cabs in parallel may work but they may struggle. And you'd still need another two.

According to Mackie's site, the subs do indeed have a low pass filter on their inputs. The tops don't have a high pass filter though; without a crossover you'll probably get a build up of frequencies around 100 - 300Hz here both speakers are contributing together.In terms of amps, you'll need something that can manage at least 500W in to 8 ohms for the tops (or at least 1100W in to 4 ohms if you're running them in parallel). For the subs, at least 750W (8 ohms) or 1600W (four ohms paralleled). Your Numark amps look a little underpowered for this. You could run them bridged quite happily, one per speaker, but you'd need another six... Bridged in to two cabs in parallel may work but they may struggle. And you'd still need another two.
so just to be sure if I am running 2 subs and 2 tops in parallel. ie the l/h channel will have a sub with a lead then going into the top cab and the same for the r/h channel I should ideally have an amp running 2700w per side at 4 ohm?.If this is correct any suggestions on any amp in particular?.

I was actually thinking of pairing two subs per amp channel and two tops per amp channel, which is what my figures above referred to. You get a bit more control that way as you can vary the level of the tops & subs independently. A crossover would of course be useful in that application.

If you want to pair one sub and one top per channel, you'd be after an amp capable of supplying around 1300W in to four ohms*. On a budget, Thomann's T.Amp range are pretty well thought of. The TA2400 manages 1200W in to four ohms which should be alright for you.

* When speccing amps, a good rule of thumb is to pick one capable of supplying at least 1.5 times the RMS rated power of the speaker (or combination of speakers). In this case, 500W plus 350W is 850W, times by 1.5 gives you 1275W.

I was actually thinking of pairing two subs per amp channel and two tops per amp channel, which is what my figures above referred to. You get a bit more control that way as you can vary the level of the tops & subs independently. A crossover would of course be useful in that application.If you want to pair one sub and one top per channel, you'd be after an amp capable of supplying around 1300W in to four ohms*. On a budget, Thomann's T.Amp range are pretty well thought of. The TA2400 manages 1200W in to four ohms which should be alright for you.* When speccing amps, a good rule of thumb is to pick one capable of supplying at least 1.5 times the RMS rated power of the speaker (or combination of speakers). In this case, 500W plus 350W is 850W, times by 1.5 gives you 1275W.
Great, just the anwser I was looking for. Hva eyou had any experience with this make. Are they reliable?.

Great, just the anwser I was looking for. Hva eyou had any experience with this make. Are they reliable?.

I haven't, but a few other Blue Room members have. Do a search; you'll find quite a few topics about them. The majority opinion is that they're pretty good, especially for the price.

Archived