Power factor correction in SuperScan MRG

Andy Channel_Zero

I've recently acquired a SuperScan MRG fixture, and was wondering why it runs at 3000VA compared with other Clay Paky HMI1200 fixtures such as the GoldenScan 3 HPE, which runs at 1500VA. I understand the GS3 HPE includes power factor correction caps at 140uF (a pair of 70uF caps in parallel looking at the schematic), but am curious to know why Clay didn't include some from of PF correction on the MRG.

Is it feasible to retrofit PF caps to the MRG? Would be interested to hear any views on this, i.e. if you think it's a good idea or I should leave well alone and not risk damage to the fixture/myself/others!

Standard GS3's also didn't come with power factor correction, only the TV (touring version) did so. Probably a way of saving components, making it cheaper and simpler to build and maintain.

We had some external power factor correction boxes built for our superscans, 16A in, two (or three) big caps, and a 32A socket out to the scan. They seemed custom built, and we have since retired our superscans, so I can't get any more details for you, but they did run for over 10 years without a problem.

Archived