Veam-type multipin connectors

Dave

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience of wiring up Veam-type multipin connectors, especially the VDM sort sold by VDC Trading.

If so, could you drop me a PM with a phone number - I could do with a quick chat.

Thanks,

Dave

I had a dabble with these recently! VDC have two major types. A VDM and a DDK. Both are good robust connectors, but you have to invest in the crimpers if you want to fit the VDM connectors plus the contacts can get expensive. Add in the expensive crimers and you're talking big money!! The DDK is a solder-on type connector so you'll need heatshrink/hellerman sleeves and it takes ages to wire up... for me the DDK proved a better option. VDC trading will supply pinouts if you ask nicely! Hope this helps!

The VDM pins can be soldered. (though the crimper is much faster.)

The pinout are on the VDC Trading website for anyone to view.

I am still yet to decide, when soldering, whether it's easier to connect the pins to the cable first then insert in to the plug body, or to fit the pins to the body and then solder in each wire.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I invested in the £300ish crimp tool I've gone back to the silver solder pins as I've found it quicker (just me mind). I always terminate the pins out side of the connector and then push them in using some very small bull nose pliers and a lot of hellerman oil; works a treat.

Just a thought to consider, I once in my youth ordered some preterminated by VDC VDM25's which got terminated as DDK's; that really doesn't work. Oh and be careful if you use VDM 85 and VDM 150 and you've got local crew. They have the same external diameter and tonks do like to force square pegs into round holes...

Archived