12 volt low wattage pygmys or golfball lamps

mclarenamerican

Don't forget 15 / 20 watt lamps at 12 Volt are going to draw currents above 1 amp per lamp, if you have any great number connected together you'll require a substancial battery and equally substancial cable.

If you are using high capacity batteries (car battery etc.) don't forget to fuse the circuit, a dead short on such a system would be a fire hazard without overcurrent protection.

If you are using high capacity batteries (car battery etc.) don't forget to fuse the circuit, a dead short on such a system would be a fire hazard without overcurrent protection.
If you're using anything other than Alkalines or (possibly) NiMH, you should fit a fuse.

NiCad cells are quite capable of extremely high currents - I have experienced one (thankfully small and easily contained) fire caused by a NiCad failure, and have accidentally vapourised* parts of a biscuit tin using a 12V sealed-lead-acid battery.

Car 'Blade' type fuses and fuseholders are very cheap and easy to come by - I've seen a few that crimp into the supply cable, which are very easy to fit.

* Yes - vapourised. I still have the tin somewhere, and it has two neat holes in the bottom.

A wide variety of small 12 volt lamps are sold by international lamps ltd

phone 01279 442266.

They have a website, but it is not very well laid out, suggest telephoning.

I have no connection with above firm, but would thouroughly recomend them as a source of any unusual or non standard lamps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived