Dangerous Fault in SPK 500s

ianincornwall

I have discovered that as well as being arguably the worst lantern ever made the Furse SPK 500 has a potentially dangerous design fault. On investigating why a lantern tripped the ELCB I took out the lampholder and found one of the tails was shorting out on the rivet which holds the two halves of the lampholder together. Over time the insulation on the tails appears to have shrunk slightly (or the cable stretched) so as to expose bare wire. I have checked my other SPK 500s and apart from one which has already had a replacement lampholder they display the same potential problem. This problem may not show up on a PAT test as it may be worsened by focussing as the lampholder tails may move. I suggest that anyone else out there unlucky enough still to be using SPK 500s checks out the lampholder bases and either replaces them or the lanterns. :rolleyes:

Seems like something to remember to check next time you do the visual part of the PAT test?

In truth, this may well not be confined to the SPK's but to any lantern of that era - so your PAT test visual becomes not just "check the case/body is intact and cable secure" but "and also open the body - check the lampholder wiring".

Yes - dangerous - but that's why we all PAT test on a 'regular' basis isn't it? :rolleyes:

Guest lightnix

Thanks for the heads up, iain.

Furse were bought by CCT in 1988 (see final paragraph here) and up 'til then, carved a very dodgy reputation for themselves, by supplying the educational market with, ermmmm... *cough* "affordable" stage lighting equipment.

The thought that 20+ year old Furse kit is still being used out there, fills me with a sense of unease. It was pants in the first place and, unless it has been regularly and carefully (nay, lovingly) maintained, is well past its sell-by date now IMO

If I were you, I'd start pressing the powers that be to find the money for a programme of replacement.

Archived