History Of Sound

rowan.b1000

Hi

I am am currently studying A-level Performing Arts, in a group of 12 I am the Stage Manager and Sound technician. For the course I have to write a portfoli explain about what I have had to do for the final performacne, but also it involves some research into the history of the relevent areas. At the moment I am currently doing the History of sound. I am really stuck as to where to start on this, so if you could give me a few starting points or bits of information. Like when was the first microphone used in a theatre and when was the first PA system used etc. Any help you could give would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Rowan

Check out Charlie Richmond's resource centre HERE. It contains tons of theatre sound related links which might be useful, including a bibliography.

As for books, John Leonard's aptly named "Theatre Sound" contains a chapter on the history of sound and is a very worthwhile read.

Bob

Archived